Replaced my own intercooler. Only slightly traumatised.

RiotousAssembly

Well as a relative newbie to DIY mechanicing I decided to replace the split intercooler myself. Managed to get it done but blimey did Audi manage to cram a lot of stuff in this tiny little engine bay. I also have a new found seething hatred for plastic popper clips and sprung hose clamps.
I swear I was one twanged hose clip away from running into the woods and never coming back to civilisation.
Ok maybe thats a little over dramatic but between that and getting the wheelarch liners back in I had run out of swear words by the end of the job haha.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-14 at 10.18.55_58509e4f.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-14 at 10.18.55_58509e4f.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 76
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-14 at 10.22.43_b91ac299.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-14 at 10.22.43_b91ac299.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 74
Well as a relative newbie to DIY mechanicing I decided to replace the split intercooler myself. Managed to get it done but blimey did Audi manage to cram a lot of stuff in this tiny little engine bay. I also have a new found seething hatred for plastic popper clips and sprung hose clamps.
I swear I was one twanged hose clip away from running into the woods and never coming back to civilisation.
Ok maybe thats a little over dramatic but between that and getting the wheelarch liners back in I had run out of swear words by the end of the job haha.
Arch liners...took me a while to realise that you need to push pin in first to get whole clip out...damaged one

Well done replacing your intercooler. That is a good example picture of end cap cracking / splitting and rubber seal blown out. One thing I'll ask you to check is that the small unused spigot on the lower end of the intercooler is solid and not drilled through. If it is drilled through you will need to fit a short length of pipe with a bung to prevent air leakage.

Ahh but what a great feeling after you have completed the job and not only saved money but also know it's done properly. The memory of the pain (of the job) will fade quickly and the warm feeling of having improved your car and gained experience will last. You might have caught the fixing bug......a good thing.

Back