Replacement Shocks etc

MatiasMandango

A2OC Donor
Ordering some new shocks/springs tomorrow just wondered if anyone knows of any VAG part numbers for replacement bolts/bump stops etc that I should consider replacing at the same time....

Thanks

Bolts and nuts should be supplied with the new shockers. You should get 4 new bump stops and new strut top bearings for the front,

Bump stop part numbers vary, so you're best off ordering by chassis number at the dealers. They're all £8.44 each though for the front and a tenner each for the rears.

The top bearings are £11 each.

Cheers,

mike

Change the top bearings, but use the old bits for the rest. A bump stop is a bump stop (a simple piece of rubber) if it comes off re-use it. And don't be concerned if the bolts and bits don't come with the aftermarket set, most never do.

Thanks for the advice Mike and Emm, although seeing as I don't want to have to get the struts off in the near future think I will replace the stops as well for the sake of a few quid.....tried taking the shock off over the weekend, passenger side no problem but ran out of time trying to get to the drivers side....what a mission!!!

Audi quoted me £486 to replace the shocks etc.....labour only:eek: so I have decided to order the parts and get the local garage to replace for around £150....was hoping to get Stealth to do the whole lot and the remap but as usual have left to the last minute and MOT/Tax won't wait 3 weeks.

Matt

Ordering some new shocks/springs tomorrow just wondered if anyone knows of any VAG part numbers for replacement bolts/bump stops etc that I should consider replacing at the same time....

Thanks

Hi,

before deciding to use the very under-damped :mad: stock Audi dampers again, have you considered Koni FSD in reference to comfort?

Especially for the A2 design and suspension setup, these sophisticated dampers represent a true long-term investment with great comfort reputation! :)

Please see:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4807

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6208&page=3

P.S: If you’ve already ordered a set of stock dampers, there’s still the option to cancel the order...

I would strongly recommend the FSD's. i had them fitted last week:) to my A2. Funnily enough the drivers side was also a booger to to remove, ran out of time to put it on the RR at Awesome. You will however need to consider the ride height implications with FSD, they INCREASE the height @ 15mm. However I would not in hindisght have gone for 30mm Weitec lowering springs alround. I should have looked at Abt springs ( Audi tuners of reknown) and perhaps 30mm front only.

I would strongly recommend the FSD's. i had them fitted last week:) to my A2. Funnily enough the drivers side was also a booger to to remove, ran out of time to put it on the RR at Awesome. You will however need to consider the ride height implications with FSD, they INCREASE the height @ 15mm. However I would not in hindisght have gone for 30mm Weitec lowering springs alround. I should have looked at Abt springs ( Audi tuners of reknown) and perhaps 30mm front only.

Can you explain?

Thats interesting...being weighing up the standard setup (which I believe was changed later at the FSi stage....my FSi ride comfort is superb compared to my TDi) against the FSD/Weitec.....one of my springs is shot and the car is actually lower than normal on one side and I have to say I don't really like the look with the 16" wheels....fine with 17" but the 16's look a bit lost, although on the other hand I don't want to raise it up 15mm either......b****r......what is the benefit of the other springs you mention....

How can a damper raise the car? Isn't it the springs that determine the height? Not that I measured, when I changed to FSD's.

Also note that despite all the hype, A2 remains an uncomfortable ride even with FSD's, only less so.

Anyone know the difference between the factory options i.e. sport suspension setup on sport models over SE models.....presumably its just the shock and springs.....whilst trying to find out my 'VAG parts' options I am trying to find out why it isn't possible to fit the sport VAG parts onto an SE....if that makes sense, been told the sport setup was more than just shocks and springs??

How can a damper raise the car? Isn't it the springs that determine the height? Not that I measured, when I changed to FSD's.

Yep, you’re right. Primarily the spring rate does determine the ride height.

However, there are different types of shocks available:

1. non-
2. low-
3. high-pressurised

Typically nitrogen is used for these gas fillings. The higher the over-pressure involved, the higher the static counterpressure (in-situ) of a shock will become.

1.) For instance: By using Koni yellow (= Koni sport) for the A2, the ride height is not influenced by the shocks at all because these twin-tube shocks are non-pressurised.

2.) The Koni FSD shocks on the other hand, being also a twin tube design, are characterised by a compressible 5 bar gas cushion fitted within the outer tube. The outer tube also forms the oil reservoir.

3.) The third category of shocks represents a single tube design plus high pressure nitrogen gas chamber. One of the most prominent example of this “De-Carbon” layout is the BILSTEIN “sport” B6 or “sprint” B8 shock. Both Bilsteins come with identical damping characteristics whereas the B8 is shortened and rebounded for very low spring settings (minus 40 mm and lower). These Bilstein high gas pressure dampers do mobilise a static force of 25 bar per damper. That can lead to a car height increase exceeding 10 mm depending on the spring rate! :eek: For that the Bilstein B6 are highly recommended for A2 folks intending to lift their A2 by up to 20 mm applying a spring distance kit (by WEITEC, front part# 650 00 172 plus # 650 00 314, rear # 652 30 023).

... You will however need to consider the ride height implications with FSD, they INCREASE the height @ 15mm.

Well, I’ve never heard of Koni FSDs lifting an A2 by 15 mm. 5 to 10 mm is more likely and can be over-compensated by using the recommended 30 mm ABT or WEITEC lowering springs. So the net extend of lowering of Koni FSD plus ABT or WEITEC springs will be around 20 to 25 mm.

Last edited:
It is something to do with the way the shocks work. With the 30mm lower weitec the car actually sits about 15mm lower. If I had realised Abt produced springs for an A2 I would have gone for those for the reason stated above, experienced Audi tuning company. I also agree the ride is less bad rather than Citroen like but it is nowhere near as jarring as standard. I suspect staying with stock springs would have further enhanced the ride . The car also corners with less roll and brakes with less dive.

I suspect staying with stock springs would have further enhanced the ride . The car also corners with less roll and brakes with less dive.

Yes Koni FSD will work best at stock height with stock springs due to their unique frequency selective operation of the rebound damping forces. You will find more info about the special Koni FSD functional principle here:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=45498&postcount=80

FSDs are not the cheapest so you make the choice. But if you were going to do all the work and buy new shocks, the refinement and comfort you get with FSD should out weight the difference. All you need is to source them before your MOT!

And Kkallioj is almost right, but I said before FSD is still a 'sports' oriented product so don't expect a cadilac ride! But with my latest slightly oversize tyres on the SE wheels, the ride is even better, and finally acceptable.

A2 remains an uncomfortable ride even with FSD's, only less so.

This aspect is directly related to the A2 specific construction and design:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=57470#post57470

So the less comfortable A2 ride compared to its "brothers" - the VW Polo 9N, the Skoda Fabia 6Y and Seat Ibiza/Cordoba 6L - is a confession to the lightweight aluminium design and the A2 centre of gravity.

For absolutely best comfort results the Koni FSDs should be combined with the stock springs and 195/55R15 tyres.

Last edited:
Its ultimately down to personal choice! Had I wanted outright comfort I would have bought an SE and sourced some 15" wheels along with FSD's. I am however broadly happy with my set up, especially the reduced roll and dive and the slightly lowered appearance looks good IMO:). Handling/roadholding is not significantly better as I think the A2 Sport was the best handling Audi for many years. I suspect the handling improvement over stock will be greater with an SE or base spec car. I just wish the performance mathced the handling/roadholding capability of the car!

Yep, you’re right. Primarily the spring rate does determine the ride height.

However, there are different types of shocks available:

1. non-
2. low-
3. high-pressurised

Typically nitrogen is used for these gas fillings. The higher the over-pressure involved, the higher the static counterpressure (in-situ) of a shock will become.

1.) For instance: By using Koni yellow (= Koni sport) for the A2, the ride height is not influenced by the shocks at all because these twin-tube shocks are non-pressurised.

2.) The Koni FSD shocks on the other hand, being also a twin tube design, are characterised by a compressible 5 bar gas cushion fitted within the outer tube. The outer tube also forms the oil reservoir.

3.) The third category of shocks represents a single tube design plus high pressure nitrogen gas chamber. One of the most prominent example of this “De-Carbon” layout is the BILSTEIN “sport” B6 or “sprint” B8 shock. Both Bilsteins come with identical damping characteristics whereas the B8 is shortened and rebounded for very low spring settings (minus 40 mm and lower). These Bilstein high gas pressure dampers do mobilise a static force of 25 bar per damper. That can lead to a car height increase exceeding 10 mm depending on the spring rate! :eek: For that the Bilstein B6 are highly recommended for A2 folks intending to lift their A2 by up to 20 mm applying a spring distance kit (by WEITEC, front part# 650 00 172 plus # 650 00 314, rear # 652 30 023).

Well, I’ve never heard of Koni FSDs lifting an A2 by 15 mm. 5 to 10 mm is more likely and can be over-compensated by using the recommended 30 mm ABT or WEITEC lowering springs. So the net extend of lowering of Koni FSD plus ABT or WEITEC springs will be around 20 to 25 mm.

Are you implying that if i fitted FSD's without springs my car would be higher than standard?

Well, a nitrogen gas damper, be it low or high pressurised, does support the (steel) spring preload.

So, if the spring steel does feature a spring rate of let’s say 80 N/mm for instance, you need 80 kg of weight to compress the steel spring by 10 mm. If you have installed a gas damper at the same time, this damper will reduce the amount of lowering due to the compressed gas counterforce.

So the gas chamber itself works as a kind of (linear) air-spring, because nitrogen gas is compressible.

Both spring rates, the steel spring rate plus the air spring rate, are added.

Last edited:
Back