Replacement side mirrors both sides

Rich.

A2OC Donor
Hi, both my mirrors have been kicked off the car last night... need to get new mirrors quickly any ideas... supposted to be at uni tomo and for an exam in the morning :mad:

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Unless your insurance will guarantee not to increase your premiums because of this, it's probably best to pay yourself.

The motors are £55 each and are interchangeable, so you might as well put the known working one on the other side to see if it's the motor at fault or the wirinf that has broken. There are 3 screws holding the motor to the black plastic housing. Swap them over and see what's what.

Mirror glass is pretty cheap (esp. non heated stuff), so it'll be less than £100 all in.

Cheers,

Mike

Reported to the police I will try and get it sorted in the morning... the police looked and said it just looks like someone has stole the glass mirrors strange he said. Will try get heated glass fitted as well. Thanks for the help.

If someone kicks these wing mirrors do they (the casing) usually snap off?

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, hopefully the mindless moron will get their just desserts... what goes around, comes around and all that!!

Pleased to see that everything else is as it should be.

Best wishes,

Darren

P.S. Good luck with the exam and try not to let this distract you too much.

I think I've still got a spare mirror housing that has been painted Audi metallic black if of interest let me know.

I ordered the two heated mirrors the right one curved and a new motor so I think it is costing just over £100, should be fitted tomorrow. :)

I ordered the two heated mirrors the right one curved and a new motor so I think it is costing just over £100, should be fitted tomorrow. :)

Those 3 should add up to £126.13, so if just over £100, you've got a decent deal.

Cheers,

Mike

heated mirrows by do it yourself

If you have to much time;) You can do what I did:
http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?p=539477#post539477
I was guessing the power consumption to 10-20 Watts and it looks like I was pretty right. They don't have the NTC (thermostat), so they always get warm if rear window heating is on (but I don't often use that).
It stil works.

Later I found the right restistant-wire so with 2 meters of the right wire it would be much easier than what I did :D

Last edited:
It is good to have mirrors back however the right one does not heat up so i'm thinking that either the wire is broken in some place or it was a simple mistake of not plugging it in the back in.

I dont want to break the mirror so i'm gona try and noisy at it by removing the bottom of the case tomorrow but if the wires are in, are there two ways the wires can go or doesn't it matter as long as the two wires are plugged in?

If everything is ok is it hard to have the the wire replaced if the problem can not be found. The left one heats up nicely and is nice and clear.

It is good to have mirrors back however the right one does not heat up so i'm thinking that either the wire is broken in some place or it was a simple mistake of not plugging it in the back in.

I dont want to break the mirror so i'm gona try and noisy at it by removing the bottom of the case tomorrow but if the wires are in, are there two ways the wires can go or doesn't it matter as long as the two wires are plugged in?

If everything is ok is it hard to have the the wire replaced if the problem can not be found. The left one heats up nicely and is nice and clear.

It matters not which way the plugs are connected, so the easiest thing would be to switch on the heated rear window and put a meter across to see if there's current there.

Cheers,

Mike

The mirrors are quite hard to get off but managed to get it off. There is no power coming from the wire. Is it easy to run another new wire from wherever?

It's not the easiest job in the world, but you only have to strip off the door card and the mirror trim on the inner side of the door.

There is a master controller built into the window motor and there is a 16-pin connector, to which 2 black wires (amongst others) are attached - they go to pins 5 & 6.

These are the wires that are causing the problem and need replacing, so you need to run another pair from this connector to the mirror.

Beofre doing this though, check for continuity by putting a meter across the mirror end and the controller end, as it'll rule out any other fault.

Cheers,

Mike

Erstens, check out post 11 - one mirror works, the other one doesn't. If the coding needed to be carried out, neither mirror would work.

Richards problem stems from vandalism on his car, so a broken wire is the most likely cause.

Cheers,

Mike

Richards problem stems from vandalism on his car, so a broken wire is the most likely cause.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks for pointig that out. OK, so that will be the problem. But we also had cars, were one mirror worked and the other did not.. why ever..

Back