replacing front brakes

rhyd4

ive read posts on about the sensor light staying on etc, will i get this problem if i do the brakes before it comes on? (disks are warped)
any tips on chasnging as i hav'nt done the A2 before but done other cars so have a fair idea, i.e do the pistons need a special tool to wind it back in etc?
how many bolts? what size? all these Q's

thanks

Hi rhyd4
The inboard brake pad (only on the passenger side I think) has a sensor wire moulded into the friction material. As the pad gets down to the minimum thickness, this wears through the sensor wire and triggers the warning light. There is no problem changing pads before this happens.
The only special tool you need is a 7mm allen key - ideally the 1/2" drive socket type (or whatever size socket set you have)
The pistons can be levered back or pushed back with a small G.cramp. They do not need to be wound back with a special tool ( this usually only applies to rear discs which incorporate a handbrake mechanism within the caliper)
The two caliper retaining bolts are hidden inside a protective plastic tube - gently prise the cap off the end of each tube for access. Don't forget to unplug the sensor wire before removing the caliper (one side only)
Once the calipers are out of the way (support them with wire or chord to prevent strain on the brake hoses) the discs are easily removed by unscrewing the phillips head retaining screw)
Skipton usually has the full shop manual and parts CD's for sale so if your handy with the spanners they are a great investment. See link attached
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3673

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Hi A2TDI
Welcome to the A2oc and thank you for the link to the German forum. Hopefully you can help us out with more useful links in the future.

Cheers Spike

done the brakes yestarday but now they seem to be rubbing, not metal to metal. hard to describe, noise goes away when you brake but ther is a sound of somthing rubbing when braking also.
also getting a bit of a burning smell, the left wheel is hard to turn when jacked up and the right is quite free, but the noise seems to be coming from the right.
before i take it all apart again has anybody had this happen when changing the brakes? a bit annoying as i havnt uncliped anything to rub againt:mad:

hi rhyd4

have you got a raised edge on the out side of the disc new pads can sometimes catch this edge
the pads will need beding in if this is the case or sand down the edge with a emery paper.
can also be that you have bent the back plate and is catching on the disc giveing a rubbing sound

cheers

Robin

the problem was this. i have 17" aftermarket wheels, the inside edge that buts up to the disk is bigger than the outside edge of the disk.
therfore now the disks and pad combo are thicker the wheels are rubbing on the pads itself.
this is a warning if you are fitting aftermarket wheels.

Replacing front brakes 1.4tdi se

Hi guys, My yellow warning light for brakes has come on, Discs and pads ordered from vagparts. Do I need the sensor replacing also?:confused: also does the site have diagrams on the job? many thanks dino.

dinolupino said:
Hi guys, My yellow warning light for brakes has come on, Discs and pads ordered from vagparts. Do I need the sensor replacing also?:confused: also does the site have diagrams on the job? many thanks dino.

The sensor is built into the new pads, nowt additional required

My pad warning light has come on as well.

I checked the pads and they seem fine (unless they warning sensor triggers when there is still over 5mm of pad left).

Is it possible that the wear sensor can fall apart and short its self out inductating that the pads are worn?

If I disconect the plug will it default to the sensor showing maximum pad waer or minimum pad wear (if you know what I mean!!)

Cheers

Stephen

The pad warning sensor comes on to show that you have less than 500 miles on the pads left. Mine were fine until I did 1k with the light on:eek:

Hi Stephen
As a general guide, pads need replacing when the friction material wears down to the same thickness as the metal backing plate. As you probably know, pads often wear unevenly so it is important to check both the inners and outers.
I'm fairly certain the warning sensor(fitted on one side only) is just a wire embedded in the pad material and when this wears through, the light comes on. The light won't go out if you disconnect the sensor cable

Cheers Spike

A2_SAT said:
The pad warning sensor comes on to show that you have less than 500 miles on the pads left. Mine were fine until I did 1k with the light on:eek:

So you had to replace the disks as well???

So I think my disks are warped too

is this a common problem on the TDI

The previous owner used the car only on short town journies, could that be a reason for warped disks

Warped discs are usually caused by holding the car stationary after a stop on the foot brake, this stops the area covered by the pads from cooling down at the same rate as the remailder of the disc, always use your handbrake (it also releives the retinas of the poor sod behind you..... pet hate there! especially Vlovlo V70 & 850 estates... like blinking xmas trees!)

Back