Replacing headlight bulbs

MSJA2

Hi

I am a new A2 owner. Have a 54 plate 1.4 SE. Having had the surprise of the bonnet coming away in my hands when I checked over the car (the previous owner had obviously never opened it - by the look on their face!), I now have my first problem.

The main beam headlight bulb had blown, but I can't see how to get into the back of it. There seems a vertical component stopping you removing the cover - have moved the spring clip out of the way. Manual says need to go to a dealer to replace a bulb!

Can anyone help a A2 novice?

Best regards
Malcolm:confused:

Hello Malcolm and welcome to the A2OC.

The procedure to replace the headlamp bulbs is a simple one, but to do it easily, you need to remove the headlamp from the car.

To do this, you will need a T30 torx bit to undo the 2 screws (1 on top of the headlamp and the other down between it and the service flap area).

YOu can then pull the shell forwards and either unplug the connector to complete the work or just leave it connected - you still have enough clearance.

The bulbs are H3 - main beam, H7 - dipped beam (and fogs where fitted), W3W - sidelight (note 3W, not 5W) and PY21 for indicator(offset pins).

Cheers,

Mike

It is possible to do it on the car but Skipton is right to suggest headlamp removal - it is so much easier!!

Back