Replacing ReaR SpRings

A2O2

Can the ReaR spRings be taken out without a clamp?

And what do the colouR codes mean?

Any advise is appReciated

A2O2

A spring compressor is usually required but I have been told in the past that it is possible to get them off if you have really strong hands...

Colour codes relate to the stiffness (sport / SE) and possibly the engine model as well.

I managed to get mine changed at a local garage for a remarkably low £34!

the codes represent weights, equipment, years... so spring rates. But noone can tell you *exactly* what they mean.

You can replace the rears without a compressor, yes.

Bret

Yes, sorry, weeks ago. The rear is now about as low as it can go without any rubbing issues (down to 32 cms between centre of wheel and arch) but the ride comfort has improved over the stock rear springs.

Did you get round to fitting the mud guards? I thought afterwards that they might mess up the work you have been doing on your aero mods. Coming to ADI on Saturday? (PM me)

Last edited:
Can the ReaR spRings be taken out without a clamp?

And what do the colouR codes mean?

Any advise is appReciated

A2O2

I needed them for my 2001 tdi - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=85198&postcount=6 but some people seem to manage without spring clamps when doing rear springs. This could be down to the car model as for example a 1.4 petrol without heavy extras like open sky will probably have lighter springs with minimum preload.

Cheers Spike

Back