Retrieving ECU login code from used ECU

E_S

Reading a bit about how to install a different ECU. I understand you need the code for the old and new (used) ECU to adapt the immobilizer. The old one is ok, as it can be retrieved using software to get it from the instrument panel. But what about the code to the new used ECU? The car it comes from doesn't exist anymore, so reading it out by connecting to the car the regular way is not possible.

Is there a way to read the code from the ECU when you install it in the "wrong" car? As far as I understand, the code you can read out from the car is the one stored in the instrument panel?

Reading a bit about how to install a different ECU. I understand you need the code for the old and new (used) ECU to adapt the immobilizer. The old one is ok, as it can be retrieved using software to get it from the instrument panel. But what about the code to the new used ECU? The car it comes from doesn't exist anymore, so reading it out by connecting to the car the regular way is not possible.

Is there a way to read the code from the ECU when you install it in the "wrong" car? As far as I understand, the code you can read out from the car is the one stored in the instrument panel?
Evening,

The procedure is well explained on the Ross Tech website:

With the software and cable capable of retrieving the Secret Key Code (SKC), you can grab the SKC from your current hardware before removal followed by grabbing the SKC from the replacement item once its connected into the vehicle.

Hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Tom

Okay, thanks! I did not find any good info on how to grab the code from the used ECU directly, only from the instrument cluster. This helps, thanks!

Okay, thanks! I did not find any good info on how to grab the code from the used ECU directly, only from the instrument cluster. This helps, thanks!
Evening,

Happy to help out where I can. If you have access to VCDS then the only real headache is actually retrieving the Secret Key Code (SKC), simple enough if you have some specific software and associated hardware.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back