Retro-fit cassette/CD changer?

dlp

A2OC Donor
Dear all

I've seen quite a nice low mileage 1.4 TDI SE with air conditioning ('53 plate) in Dolphin Grey, but its only got a single CD player, and I'd prefer a cassette player together with a dash-mounted 6-CD multichanger.

Does anyone know, please, whether these two items can be retro-fitted in place of the existing equipment, and, if so, what the all-in cost would look like (and where best to go to get it done in the Manchester area)?

Thanks for your thoughts!

David

Hi David,

It's not possible I'm afraid without a dash swap!

The reason being the cassette/cd changer you want is a double height unit (Symphony) and the hole you have is single height. It's not even a case of removing the cubby hole and moving everything down, as the mounting points will not match and the climate panel and headunit will fall out!

If you want to consider the dash swap, it'll cost £550-ish for a new dash and then the price if the headunit, plus fitting, which I can do for you (I'm in Tameside).

You are better off trying to find a car with one in already, or transferring your cassettes to cd.

Cheers,

Mike

You are better off trying to find a car with one in already, or transferring your cassettes to cd.

Thanks for this, Mike.

I've been trying to find just that 'perfect' A2, but it seems to take ages!

Dash-swap sounds horrendously expensive, so perhaps I can 'convert' my cassettes as you suggest.

So if I dropped the cassette player idea and just wanted to replace the single CD player with a 6CD dash-mounted multichanger, would there still be the sizing problems you mentioned, or is this actually much more feasible?

If it can be done, where would you suggest sourcing the part, please, and getting it fitted? And, critically, how much would all this cost (hopefully much less than the dash-swap!). I'd certainly be happy to pay for your own services if they were kindly on offer (as you're pretty local to me, and indeed the car I've seen is in Dukinfield).

Thanks, again.

David

The trouble with the in-dash cd changer is that it is still a double height unit and you're then back to square 1.

Possibly a better bet would be to stick with the cd player (single) and opt for an iPod. That's what I have and you then have your entire music collection with you at all times.

If you want to mee up and have a look at my setup, you are quite welcome.

Cheers,

Mike

Dash mounted CD-changer

The simpler option would be to fit the CD-changer in the glovebox. This can be done quite easily without any of the 'double DIN' problems of having a true dash mounted CD-changer.
Naturally, an ipod type solution is the alternative. Most Audi radios have the option of fitting one audio feed into them, so you can have a CD-changer or an ipod, but not both.

GBMSU's idea is a possibility if you use the glove box mounted Audi 6 stack cd, possibly fitted inot the cubby dash unit, you'd need to source a chorus rad/cass and a audi govebox cd unit and link cable, all these can be obtained new via VAGPARTS or 2nd hand off fleabay.
I have a chorus unit spare here, needs a code but I can get from Audi for you if interested, it's from an B6 A4 so will need modification to the faceplate to fit, in all honesty you would be better off with an A2 version (doesnt have the chrome strip as the A4 does) unfortunately I have sold my 6 CD unit.
Personally I'd go down the MP3 remote unit as the quality and convenience can't be beaten, that's why I disposed of my 6 CD unit.
Mike

GBMSU's idea is a possibility if you use the glove box mounted Audi 6 stack cd, possibly fitted inot the cubby dash unit, you'd need to source a chorus rad/cass and a audi govebox cd unit and link cable, all these can be obtained new via VAGPARTS or 2nd hand off fleabay.

Thanks for this, Mike - but would fitting the chorus radio/cassette avoid the need for the expensive dash-swap?

As for the audi glovebox 6cd unit, is that specific to the A2, or a more general Audi part?

Any idea, please, of ball-park costings if I went down this route (would mean I could keep my dear old cassettes!)?

Thanks, again.

David

Back