Retro fit front fog lights-who's done it?

pedro

I'm thinking of fitting some front fogs to the wifes A2 fsi. I have the correct dash switch and I have the two front fog lights, covers and fittings. I haven't taken a look behind the dash yet to see if there is a spare plug from the wiring loom but I have taken a look behind the blanks on the front bumper and also under the bonnet and I can't see any wires for the fog lights. Does anyone know if the front fogs have a seperate loom or a different loom fitted at the factory for fogs and non fog builds.

Better still have you done this mod and how did you do it?
Regards.
Pete

All A2s were built using custom looms - if it wasn't specified, it wasn't included. The only exception to this is the wiring for the heated external mirrors, for UK cars only.

If you have the correct lighting switch, then you're halfway there (in cost terms anyway!).

The trickiest part will be routing wiring through the bulkhead, as the correct routing is behind the dash, near the bottom corner of the windscreen on the drivers side. You can feed it through with relative ease from the engine bay, but pulling it through will require the dash to be partially removed, which is a b****r of a job (bank on 5 hours to undo and re-fit it! - it takes me 4 and I know exactly where to get to the screws).

You'll also need a new relay and a good knowledge of automotive wiring to complete the job.

Cheers,

Mike

Retro fit front fogs

Thanks Mike

I think I inadvertantly got the first line of my posting right "I am thinking of fitting the fog lights" I am now thinking of a local Auto electrician !. I know one or two good un's so I will be giving them a call.

Whilst on the subject of retro fits, The radio is a chorus and I was thinking of upgrading it to a symphony. Whats involved?

Working From top to bottom the chorus is at the top then in the middle the heater controls,heated seat switches etc then at the bottom there is a small open fronted cubbie to put bits and bobs in.

It looks like a new dash may be needed but I ain't sure if this is the case I will sack the idea.

Regards
Pete

It looks like a new dash may be needed but I ain't sure if this is the case I will sack the idea.

Regards
Pete

You are correct - anything that requires going from double DIN to single or vice versa means a new dashboard is required.

Unless you absolutely MUST do the conversion, get an iPod - it's far, far cheaper and easier!

Cheers,

Mike

PS How appropriate that my 3000th post was on the subject of retro-fitting!!

Back