Reversing

AlanA2

A2OC Donor
Hopefully someone can help, noticed that when reversing appears to be some cluncking from the nearside, and car appears to struggle reversing. It appears to clunk if you hold it at biting point. Im thinking gearbox mount but havn't had a chance to look yet.

Anyone got any other ideas before I commit myself.

Cheers
Alan

Hi Alan
I don't know what the problem is but a bit more background info may help with a diagnosis.
Could it be a rear drum brake sticking on
Can you 'feel' the clunk or is it only a noise
Does it only happen in reverse
Does it only clunk once or is the noise repeated (possibly related to something rotating) if you reverse for a longer distance
Is it load related ie worse if reversing up hill

Cheers Spike

Sorry Spike,
The noise is coming from front nearside, only in reverse. It appears driving straight or turning in reverse, its not rythmical, depends on how fast you reverse, appears when you get clutch bite and use the throttle after that.

Alan

Hi Alan
Even with the extra clues I still don't know what could be causing the clunking noise in reverse. Had to think hard about this but I'm almost certain the torque reaction of the engine under load is the same whether going backwards or forwards. This suggests its not related to the engine or gearbox mounts.

Cheers Spike

Spike, steveb
Took it to garage and although mechanic heard the noise and bewildered....stated I would have to book car in as he wanted car all day to have a look.

Brakes have been checked, and all is ok, however re torque reaction ..... when the car is driving forward wouldn't the engine till backwards due to drive from the gearbox, and when driving in reverse it would tilt the other way, due to drive from the gearbox.

Alan

Hi Alan
The torque reaction is the same under load as engine doesn't know whether the car is going forward or backwards. I didn't think about this before but what does change is the cars attitude - if the front of the car rises and the back end squats when accelerating forwards, the opposite will happen in reverse.

Cheers Spike

Back