Road Tax.

mumipop

Just wanted to ask about road tax, I'd read some were that it was £35 pounds for the year, is this only on Diesel's? I got my first Vehicle licence application though this am and it says its £115 for 12 months.

That's right - for a few years now, new cars have been taxed on their CO2 emissions, I think and the 1.4 petrol pumps out 144g of the stuff, which equates to £115 a year.

I don't know the figures off hand for the Diesel, but I remember after the last budget speech there was much joy and jubilation on here from the Tdi owners when they were given a reduction in tax to £35.

re. "figures off hand for the Diesel"

AFAIK the magic number is 119gms of CO2 per km.

I was amazed to discover that the road tax on the TDi was £35, which is the same as I was paying on the Smart fortwo I traded in for my A2 a couple of weeks ago.

In effect, the running costs on a TDi A2 are comparable to that of my old Smart - insurance isn't much more, tax is the same, and the Smart wasn't cheap to service anyway as it had to be done at a Mercedes dealership. They also both have 3-cyl engines...

I don't know why I didn't trade up sooner...

Here in Holland it's the other way around and much more expensive. The Petrol version costs £165 and a diesel version will cost you more then £400 per year.

It's calculated on their weight and the region where you live.

We own both and I'd almost agree with that - the smart uses less fuel 60mpg is an easy average where as my A2 is about 52-55mpg, but the smart uses 1L of 0W40 fully synthetic oil every 3000 miles to counter the balance.

I never quite managed that sort of average in the Smart - my experience was probably more like 50-55mpg. It was an '04 model with the larger engine (a whole 700cc!), and I also had slightly wider tyres on it which increased the fuel consuption slightly but improved the handling (a bit)...

What I will say for the Smart, is that the depreciation was negligible. I bought it at one year old and kept it for about 30 months, got a good price in part-ex and the dealer now has it for sale on his forecourt for £20 less than I paid for it in May '05, which is pretty amazing, I thought!

(Sorry for hi-jacking this thread with Smart-babble. I'll shut up now...)

Jon

1.2 Tdi

Zero road tax due 81 to 86 g/km CO2

Capable of 100mpg but generally averages over 80mpg

LHD self import only.

That's right - for a few years now, new cars have been taxed on their CO2 emissions, I think and the 1.4 petrol pumps out 144g of the stuff, which equates to £115 a year.

I don't know the figures off hand for the Diesel, but I remember after the last budget speech there was much joy and jubilation on here from the Tdi owners when they were given a reduction in tax to £35.

This applies to post March 2001 cars only I'm afraid, cars pre-dating that are rated on engine capacity only

Mike

That's the one - couldn't remember the cut-off date.

If you have a car registered before March 2001, you'd pay high rate for engines over about 1.5 and a reduced rate (which was around £115, but I can't remember) for smaller engined cars.

With the new tax is there a minimum amount of years they must keep it at before rising the price?

This applies to post March 2001 cars only I'm afraid, cars pre-dating that are rated on engine capacity only

Mike

Not strictly true as if you import a pre-March 2001 car (with a CO2 emissions value on its' certificate of conformity), it is treated the same as a post-February 2001 car! The registration date is all important! I do not pay any VED on our 1999 Lupo 3L, imported in 2003. However, if I had registered my (new) 2001 Lupo 3L a month earlier, I would be paying VED for it. Logical or what?

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Back