Rubber gear lever gaiter

John H

I'm going to replace the gear knob and outer gaiter, searched on here and it looks quite straightforward, and I had a look see this afternoon as to how it all fits.

However, underneath the leatherette gaiter is another rubber one, and mine is torn. More over, it seems loose. It fits onto a plastic plate, but this seems not to be properly fixed down. This may explain why I occasionally get baulking changing down from 5th to 4th.

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of exactly what is in here, as it is difficult to see quite what I'm dealing with.

Thanks

John H

Here you go John:

Explodedgearshiftassembly.jpg

Interestingly, the rubber gaiter isn't shown!

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, thank you for that image, and not only is the rubber gaiter not shown, but neither is the rather "floating" plastic plate that it attaches to.

Do Audi sell the parts CD by the way, if so I must get one.

Thanks

JH

Mike, thank you for that image, and not only is the rubber gaiter not shown, but neither is the rather "floating" plastic plate that it attaches to.

Do Audi sell the parts CD by the way, if so I must get one.

Thanks

JH
Now I know what you want. This rubber gaiter was not standard on the old models! It is a later upgrade.
Here is one image but I know a much better one which shows right your problem. Will search..

Now I know what you want. This rubber gaiter was not standard on the old models! It is a later upgrade.
Here is one image but I know a much better one which shows right your problem. Will search..

Brilliant Erstens. That indeed is the one, and I also need to work out what it attaches to, as it seems loose.

Thanks

:)

Now I found it!

Here is what i was looking for:
There is small crumb under the rubber.
In the german forum it is here: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=21174&highlight=gummiabdeckung
One of our verry knowledging members said this is normal, don't worry about.
And someone said this is coming from the original outer gater, maybe the rubber part was mounted later...

You also see, this rubber part is not really needed. So don't care about;) It is for noise reduction only. (and maybe the crumb problem)

Last edited:
Thank you Erstens, top detective work there.

Indeed there are "crumbs" in there, as the original leatheratte gaiter is disintegrating and shedding a lot of stuff. I'll clean it out, and replace the torn rubber gaiter while I'm in there.

Thanks again

John H

You're wellcome!
Someone said, the crumb problem comes from the rubber itself. And there was sugegsted, to spay in some Teflon spray. (for bike chains)

Back