Running In

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod_bunny

Howdy All

Firstly... Thanks to you all for allowing me research the A2 from the forums... Today I picked up my new 1.6 FSI Sport(With 4 miles on the clock).

Anyone got any ideas on running in... (I've read the manual)
But I also come from the school of thought of "Treat it as you mean to go on" (Worked well with any new bike I ever had).

Took pics today when I got home... but its just another silver A2 sport from the outside so wont post them (Silver cause I cant be ar*ed keeping it clean like the black one I really wanted)

Will post the list of options when I get the chance and my opinions on them as I go...

1999 Volvo S40 T4 SE now for sale... not that anyone here would be interested ;)

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Rod

I think nowadays, running in is personal preferance. We enquired about it when we picked our A2 up and a dismissive hand was waved in our direction.
We still took it easy for the first 1000miles though. It was just beginnig to loosen up nicely when its life was cut short.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm

quote:Originally posted by rod_bunny
Anyone got any ideas on running in... (I've read the manual)
But I also come from the school of thought of "Treat it as you mean to go on" (Worked well with any new bike I ever had).
Hi Rod,

Congrats on choosing the A2, although I can see the fun-factor in a V40 T4 as well...!

As for breaking in the engine, all I can say that this is one subject that almost every other person, knowledgeable or not, has a different opinion about. Some opinions are downright opposite to eachother, making you wonder where the truth lies.

First of all, dealers do not seem to be a good source for this kind of information. They probably think that any engine abuse is only good for them, since you might return ;)

Second, the general opinion (if there is one) seems to be that you want to smoothen the cylinder walls and pistons itself.
Some will tell you that you need to take it easy for the first x000 kilometers. Others will tell you that taking it easy causes a surface that is so smooth, that is defies it own purpose by causing the engine to 'seize' slightly. I.e. the pistons fit the cylinder to snugly.
Others will say that breaking in too fast (high revs, loads of full throttle) will cause abnormal wear and tear, leading to a loss in compression and badly abrased cylinder walls.

Getting anywhere yet? I wasn't....

Until I read something on a site, written by people who do dragracing with motorbikes. It sounded okay, BUT, I wonder if their procedure is any good at all if you do not have the chance to drive the real first miles of your engine. I mean, in case of normal cars you get it with a few miles on them and no-one knows how they've been driven in those miles. According to the website, these first miles are crucial...
BTW, their procedure confirms what I've read for scale-model racing engines...

What was their procedure? I'll have to recall this from memory, since I can't find it anymore.
But the basics are: let the engine run a few hot-cold cycles, by gently but firmly putting the engine through its all of it paces, and then 'relieve' it by falling back again. Like accellerating with smooth throttle to the max, heating up and then letting it idle to cool down.

A bit vague, eh? Sorry about that. I'll keep looking for the site and maybe post it later. Maybe you can find something along these lines too.

So that's my opinion. I'm curious as to what's going to follow.

Edo

[24] Cheers Guys for the info.

The T4 is nice... but the UK company car tax isn’t. Definitely miss the power already but... was surprised that the T4 doesn’t actually romp away from the A2 (Had a little erm, race with the wife on the way home from a short stretch.) Half the power, half the weight, half the size… still get the same smile! Cant wait until it all beds in.

Cheers
Rod

Hi Rod, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, could someone clarify what 'running in' means. What are you supposed to run in? Is there some excess metal in the engine somewhere that has to run removed?

It was my understanding that running in was previously a term used by dealers/manufacturers when you had to have an early service, i.e. 500 or 1000 miles. The dealer asked you not to over rev the engine and drive too fast during this time, and rather than saying it was because they weren't sure it was built correctly and it could all go bang if you drive to fast, they would say it was to 'run it in'. After this period, the dealer would have the car back and check it over - remove rattles, tighten loose bolts etc.
Nowadays however, since the general build qualities are much higher, then this running-in period is not required.

Any thoughts?

Kaine

Hi Rod-welcome.

My Audi dealer told me to do whatever I wanted-but with the caveat that I should take it easy within normal driving guidlines-any car you thrash will eventually give you grief-100 or 1000 miles on the clock.

But I side with Kaine-I'm no expert on this-only read things, but what I've read is that car manufacture these days means engines are far better built meaning there is no loose metal shavings flying around (the real reason why years ago we had the 1000 mile oil service and just to check nothing was loose no doubt!). Also lubrication technology has moved on.

Just stick with what the manual says-keep revs down on a cold engine until it's warm, don't thrash it 24 hours a day etc.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Back in the good old days machine tools were not very good and produced relatively rough finish. Oddly enough lubricants at the time were not as good as present either. Expensive machinery was "superfinished" to give a smoother machined surface before assembly but this put up the cost. To keep costs down car makers did not superfinish but asked the owner to drive slowly and gently (some will remember that thirty years ago few cars would do 100mph and pre 67(?) there was no motorway speed limit) for the first few hundred/thousand miles (running in) and also required an oil change relatively soon after delivery (for our first new Ford it was 1500 miles). In reality the driver was doing the superfinishing for the manufacturer and the oil change got rid of any debris from the superfinishing.

Modern machining, lubrication and low speed limits relative to car performance mean it is effectively not required.

Hope this helps

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back