S2 Mirrors, metal finish and LEDS

My driveway is incredibly tight down the side of my house. this means that a couple of wing mirror against fence moments when we first moved in

I've now got the hang of it so want to do something about the small scrapes but I fancy some aluminium effect mirrors like the S cars, I'd prefer matt aluminium rather than chrome but am open to ideas.

What would be the best way of achieving this? I know Skipton was fancying something similar for his tank. any ideas.

While I've got the mirrors off I'm going to add some downward facing LEDs or lights to light the kerb, I thought I'd link these to the interior lights so they come on when I unlock the car. A bit like some upmarket cars (and the new focus) have. Does anybody have any thoughts on the best components to use

I Think you would need to have a word with Mike (Skipton)about this as i think the S2 mirror is a slightly different shape and requires a little modification to the original mirror to make it fit
Sounds like an interesting mod with all the leds and stuff ........

JimbobA2TDiSport said:
While I've got the mirrors off I'm going to add some downward facing LEDs or lights to light the kerb, I thought I'd link these to the interior lights so they come on when I unlock the car. A bit like some upmarket cars (and the new focus) have. Does anybody have any thoughts on the best components to use

You could try these people for the LEDs
www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80008&CTL_CAT_CODE=KINGBRIGHT

The ones my company sells are strung together in tube and won't run from 12V DC...

Try this company :

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/

I have a Focus C-Max Ghia with the mirror mounted indicators and 'puddle lights' which you refered to above. I have now modified both the interior of the car with Blue LED's and the puddle lights. Looks kinda cool when you unlock and view the Blue haze!

Don't woory, it's my second childhood!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Scott
nice pics mate had to use the oil this week how's the C-Max going
it sure is looking good ......and p.s have you got anymore Jokes.....

Good of you to drop by ......

Presume we are not talking about sun tan oil?

Nice to hear from you old bean!

C-Max is going great guns. Typical me of course had to make a few modifications. Nothing drastic of course, although the neighbours wonder what the blue glow on the drive is all about.

New web site looks great and yes, I will post some jokes in due course!

wooly A2 said:
I Think you would need to have a word with Mike (Skipton)about this as i think the S2 mirror is a slightly different shape

What I meant was the S models (S4 etc) all have metal finish mirrors, I want to make mine look like this. Either a coating or paint finish probably. I'm not replacing merely modifying although I might try and get a second hand set of mirror shells to modify so I can alway put the original back.

I'd prefer an aluminium finish to match the boot trim and sline badges and all the interior aluminium. Any ideas on the best way to do this.

VMC have just responded. They can do the aluminium coating on my mirrors for 150 +VAT. Seems like a lot but I am tempted. When you add up getting the scrapes on my mirrors repaired I don't suppose its a bad price, plus I'm thinking metal coated will be much more durable

MMM I've got to think about this, maybe in the new year.

Hello folks, I'm back!

Well, I must say that I'm very surprised at the quote from VMC - the same company quote me £75+VAT for a pair.

The only thing you need to bear in mind is that the mirrir casings must be absolutely blemish-free otherwise every tiny mark will stick out like a sore thumb when you get them back.

This is because the metallising process only coats the surface of the plastic with a layer of aluminium 2-5 microns thick! That's 2-5 thousandths of a millimetre. They then put a coat of laquer over it to protect it.

I'm looking into other ways at the moment because I don;t feel that this process is robust enough for a wing mirror. By the way, I got a pair of new casings and have prepared them with 1200 grit wet and dry to remove the moulding lines.

I think I've read most of the threads regarding the chrome mirror covers. I've emailed a firm from a link on ebay (I'm sure others have also tried). They have acknowledged my enquiry and I guess now they are making theirs.
Will post back when I have an answer from them.

no luck

Unfortunately they can not supply A2 mirror covers/caps. Will now try my old work mates at the bodyshop, to see if they know any one local.

Back