same prob as 2max4fun -Warning lights ABS, Traction cntl, "!" signal

splat

Hi
I am a new (female!) member - with the same prob (3 lights - traction control, "!" mark, abs and warning signal - as 2max4 fun mentioned in an earlier thread) coming on over several weeks, but then cancelling out if turn engine off/on. Eventually the Engine man light comes on and stays on - and Audi Stoke have put it down to same fault code F83/84? as quoted earlier. With a £900 bill to sort. As Im reluctant to go down that expensive route to find prob still there, I asked them to re-diagnose last week and in the process they wiped the ECU!! Which didnt cost me anything to replace - however they thought that the ECU may have contributed to the the orig prob and might be solved now. Unfortunately not.... 10 mins after driving...
Just wondered if you have now solved your prob "2max4fun" - and what the outcome was.
I have an A2 1.4 petrol.

No Luck yet

The local Audi garage had it again last week but it still had the fault when they had finished with it. I have had some good advice from fellow members on possible causes but the dealership didn't seem to be too happy when I passed them on. They have been trying to fix it for over a year since their original attempt when they replaced the brake pressure release solanoid at a cost of several hundred pounds.
If you have a warranty, try to get it fixed under warranty. I will keep posting updates and if you solve the problem first, please do the same.
Good Luck!

I remember a dealership that wasn't too pleased when they were told how to activate total closure, including the boot, but they soon changed their tune when it worked.

It was (indirectly via the owner) me that provided that info, but the galling thing is, it's from their own manuals if they cared to read them fully.

Cheers,

Mike

its a mystery.......

Hi all thanks for input

2max4fun - did you try the steering angle sensor approach as suggested by Skipton01? Did your Engine Mgt light come on after few cycles ?

Skipton01 do you mean that your old A2 went through the same procedure with lights as ours? Mine is 2002 (Jan) ...... hmm there seems to be a pattern emerging here! Im assuming warranty ran out years ago, as we have bought ours in August.

Ta v much

Skipton01 do you mean that your old A2 went through the same procedure with lights as ours?

It did indeed and the steering angle sensor was changed, even though there were no faults directly associated with it.

Needless to say, it cured the problem, which never returned in the remaining time I had with the car (which was a September 2001 SE).

Cheers,

Mike

Hi splat
Do you mean the warning lights come on while the car is stationary with the engine running? If this happens without the steering wheel being turned then don't discount it but its less likely to be a faulty steering angle sensor.

Cheers Spike

tis me again

Hi guys
thanks for coming back to me. Basically the lights come on at a low-ish speed but then go off if I turn engine off and on again. This happens for about 3/4 times before the engine man light finally comes on and stays on but without others lighting up beforehand.

Any clues.... would be great if it was solved by steering angle sensor.

Hi guys
thanks for coming back to me. Basically the lights come on at a low-ish speed but then go off if I turn engine off and on again. This happens for about 3/4 times before the engine man light finally comes on and stays on but without others lighting up beforehand.

Any clues.... would be great if it was solved by steering angle sensor.

Whilst the steering angle sensor is fairly easy to replace, it's not a cheap component, being in the region of £175. It's not an easy one to call without seeing the diagnostic results, but my problems on my first A2 were always slow speed related, which tends to be when you turn the wheel most, i.e. parking, manouvering etc

If you can make the Curry Social, I can do a scan for you and possibly give you a better indication of how to proceed.

Cheers,

Mike

Same issue as Splat and 2max4fun

Hi, fairly new joiner and my first posting. I don't spend a lot of time on chats/forums but am at a loss as to what to do with the 'all 3 - brake, abs and ! (in a circle) light issue.
I've gone to get diagnosis and they've come back with the following:
Fault codes 03 Brake ABS:
00778 P0046 steering angle sensor-G85
00285 P0035 ABS Wheel Speed Sensor-RF-G45

Fault codes 01 Engine:
17700 P1292 Map control engine cooling thermostat -F265- open circuit
17446 P1038 Heater activation Nox sensor, open circuit.

Judging from the above fault codes and description it sound similar to Splats. Also the engine fault codes sounds like theres a broken circuit/exposed wiring as per possible suggestion from Skipton1 the wheels eroding wiring.

The car feels OK, though concern is it may compromise the safety.

My other concern is a once economical car may become an expensive one by the sounds of other 'Servicing, repair and assistance threads in A2OC, such as ineffective and expensive dealer repairs.

Can anyone tell me where i can find a cheap steering sensor and abs wheel sensor, if infact replacing these will fix the problem.

I am now starting to realise the importance and pleasures of an A2 owners club.

Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank
The VagCom fault code database explains a couple of your fault codes in a bit more detail -
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php?title=Category:Fault_Codes&until=16488/P0104/000260
If you have 17" wheels, check the ABS sensor wires for damage as these can catch on the tyres and rub through. If its not this, an ABS sensor should not be too expensive to replace
With so many error messages recorder it would be advisable to run the diagnostics again after clearing all the fault codes and running the car for a few days. I've had one or two 'intermittent' faults flagged up which never returned so don't start spending money until they are reconfirmed.
I have a new steering angle sensor which may fit your car if further tests confirm you really need one.

Safety wise, only you can decide but I personally would still drive the car on essential journeys without the ABS or ESP working properly. Most cars still don't have these safety features anyway so you just have to drive accordingly

Cheers Spike

Hi Frank
Will be interested to see if it solves your problem.... sounds like its the same warning lights as mine but throws back different fault codes?? Im still waiting patiently to see if the lights come again in the same cycle of events, and once the Engine man light comes on will take it back to dealer at that point and suggest steering angle sensor.

Live in Stoke and new member, so not sure where/when curry social is??? thanks for offer of assistance tho Skipton

Thanks Spike, the Wiki link is very good, i can add a little common sense to the diagnostics.
Though whats not common sense is that Audi of all manufatcturers would have wheels bigger than the the car can take (which rub away essential wiring). And yes you are right I have the 17" wheels. Do you think this is something the manufaturer can take ownership of if it is a design fault?
I've been driving the car for 1 week now and seems fine, just that I don't think it'll pass it's MOT which is due in late Feb.
Will let everyone know how it goes. This seems like a very popular subject and common occurance, hope to get back to this very soon.

Thanks again Spike.

Frank

Last edited:
Hi Frank
Audi did change the ABS sensor cables on cars built from 2003 onwards but I think it only applied to models fitted with 17" rims as standard. This does not help owners with earlier cars ot those who retrofit wider alloys.

Cheers Spike

Back