sat nav kit fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

juniorbeep

Hi everyone, thinking of buying a demonstrator A2... but would like Sat nav, pref with a "pop out" screen ..... anyone fitted one or have any recomendations? cheers!

Hi,

I've got a VDO Dayton MS 5000 with a fixed screen. But it would be just as easy (or easier) to fit a 6000 with the automatic screen. Just remove the radio, install the adapter bracket and slide in the sat nav system.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

does it work well the system you have?... where did you put the arial?

Hi, no experience with the VDO Dayton systems (too expensive for me), but I did drive around with a PDA and TomTom Navigator 2 (in my case a Dell Axim X5, with cradles and gps receiver supplied by TomTom).

I have to say: very nice tradeoff between installation troubles, screen size and functionality. You get a color screen with a very reasonable size for a price that lies way below that of a B&W system with just an arrow on a tiny screen. Easy to handle, upgradeable
The PDA can be removed (and, of course, be used for many other useful purposes), leaving it up to you to fit the cradle and cables in a nice way. Cabling is just two wires, one of which is better fitted to a power source behind the radio (the cig lighter in between the seats leaves the cord dangling across the gear knob). The gps receiver went slap bang on my dash, but I could see ways to hide the cords a bit more...
I've also read about people mounting the gps receiver underneath the flat surface of the centre console. So inside the console, rigged in between the heater exhausts and the top of the encasing. So that would be out of view too, with good reception.

Well, for me, this was just a trial before I transferred the lot to my mother (who wanted it in the first place). That's another advantage of this system: a simple install can also be taken to another car without a problem. If you get a gps receiver that installs onto/into the PDA (so called compact flash GPS receiver), you could even walk around with your nav system!

I _love_ the wide screen tft-s that slide out of the central console, but at that price, I doubt the value.

Just my 2 cents...

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

I love my Navman iCN 630, Ok I have trailing cables in the A2 because of the siting of the cigar (why not, it's Christmas?) lighter socket. This is less of a problem in the Volvo. I could site the screen by the centre console, but I prefer it by the front quarter light. Anyway the new software will have Croatia on it, and birdview; this is exotic for someone who mainly uses the car for Tescos! Ok I know it's expensive but so is the A2.

Anybody have the Audi sat nav plus ?

If so do you have to have the cd changer as well, or is there a single cd - if so can you navigate and have music at the same time ?

I have the SatNavPlus.... and a CD changer for it is a must, because the CD-Drive in the Head unit is ONLY for the Navigation CD´s...

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

Thanks again Frido - You;ve cost me £400 but worth it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back