Scraping sound...

Sorry for the very poor description but it's the only way I can think to describe it.

It sounds like a metal shield or similar sort of 'scrapping'.

It happens when the car is started and idling, like a tinny rattle/scrape. It is not in time with engine revs, it seems more connected to vibrations.

It sounds like it is coming from near the front drivers side wheel (UK car).

It sometimes stops :mad:

When I am freewheeling down a bank or on a straight it goes seemingly in time with the wheel roatation then. Like 'sssscccchhheeer, sccchhheeerr, schheerrrr' (sorry I know :D).

It can also make a slightly different (noisier) sound sometimes when I reverse.

I would have sworn it was wheel bearing but what is confusing me is it makes the same sound when sat still idling!

Are there any heatshields/covers/other bits that might make this sound on idle near the drivers side wheel? Confused! :confused:

Sorry for the very poor description but it's the only way I can think to describe it.

It sounds like a metal shield or similar sort of 'scrapping'.

It happens when the car is started and idling, like a tinny rattle/scrape. It is not in time with engine revs, it seems more connected to vibrations.

It sounds like it is coming from near the front drivers side wheel (UK car).

It sometimes stops :mad:

When I am freewheeling down a bank or on a straight it goes seemingly in time with the wheel roatation then. Like 'sssscccchhheeer, sccchhheeerr, schheerrrr' (sorry I know :D).

It can also make a slightly different (noisier) sound sometimes when I reverse.

I would have sworn it was wheel bearing but what is confusing me is it makes the same sound when sat still idling!

Are there any heatshields/covers/other bits that might make this sound on idle near the drivers side wheel? Confused! :confused:

Hmm, what about servo steering oil? could it be dry?

-P-

Hmm, what about servo steering oil? could it be dry?

-P-

I suppose I should get it it jacked up and looked at. It sounds very much like a really strange noise that is sometimes in line with movement but still occurs when idle but again, sometimes will not.

I am sure it isn't lack of servo oil. I don't know what that sounds like but I am sure it wouldn't be like this.

The steering is fine, no alerts on the dash.

Might be anything on the auxillary drive belt - climate compressor, alternator pulley or tensioner. Very unlikely to be the steering as the fluid reservoir is on the other side, nearest the kerb (UK cars).

If you've noticed the climate blowing hot and cold, then it may well be that. With the engine off, get your hand down to the compressor and see if the middle can be turned independantly of the drive belt - if it can, then the compressor clutch has had it!

Cheers,

Mike

Might be anything on the auxillary drive belt - climate compressor, alternator pulley or tensioner. Very unlikely to be the steering as the fluid reservoir is on the other side, nearest the kerb (UK cars).

If you've noticed the climate blowing hot and cold, then it may well be that. With the engine off, get your hand down to the compressor and see if the middle can be turned independantly of the drive belt - if it can, then the compressor clutch has had it!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks all.

I played with the aircon and it just seemed random. As an aside, I don't even know how to get to the engine! I can only see the oil/water/dipstick - it's not normal car like!

theres a knob ethier side of the water,oil fillers twist them once then you can lift the bonnet off. put the bonnet on the grass or in an old quilt if you have to put it on a hard surface.

I've had similar sounding experience a while ago....think it turned out to be grit/stones caught between brake disc and pads? Sounded fairly awful but easily solved!

I've had similar sounding experience a while ago....think it turned out to be grit/stones caught between brake disc and pads? Sounded fairly awful but easily solved!

Thats exactly the sort of sound I am taking about. I thought that if that was it would have stopped now and I confused to heck why is sometimes does it when the car is sat still, with the engine on idle :eek:

Back