Seat Belt breaking away

Dolly

Hello all, I am after a little bit of advice, to see if anyone has experienced this, and whether it might cause an MOT failure, and any tips on a self repair.

Please excuse how I explain (I am a girl after all :D )

Whilst securing infant into car seat today, I noticed that my rear passenger side seat belt has come away from its fixture in the plastic inside the car. Where it feeds from underneath the seat is still secure.

To try and explain further, there is a rigid casing around the actual belt (the bit that goes across your lap) which is secured by a metal pin going into the plastic of the car interior. Whilst there are two holes on the casing, there has only been 1 metal pin used to secure it. So the belt housing should sit next to the plastic and not the car seat. However as the pin has completely come away from the car it is now resting against the seat.

The belt still seems secure, however, from a safety perspective I would feel happier knowing it was fixed and as it should be.

Does look like quite a flimsy design actually, and although the drivers side one is still attached, you can actually see the pin, so looks like it might work itself out too.

I wonder if the use of child seats could exacerbate this as you tend to pull the belt so tight to secure them ??

Common thing and nothing to worry about. Our left hand side one is the same. This has no effect on the safety performance of the belt, I dont know if child seat use contributes to the fixing coming astray, but its possible I suppose.

Definitely a common issue and something that I too have witnessed as a result of securing a child seat into the rear via the seat belt mechanism. In all honesty, as Murdo has said, this is merely a cosmetic issue and does not impede or compromise the belts working mechanism/safety performance.

Darren

Back