'Service!' message 5k after service

bennyboy

Hi everyone,
I've just bought my first A2 (yesterday) and am delighted with it! It's a 2002 1.4 TDi Sport with 46k on the clock.

The service book shows that it was last serviced around 5k miles ago but the 'Service!' message displays whenever I start the car. From what I understand from the manual this could mean 1 of 2 things:
• it needs a service
• the service counter wasn't reset when it was last serviced.

I want to look after this car so am tempted to take it to Audi to see if it does need servicing but obviously I've already spent a lot of money and don't want to spend more unnecessarily!

What do you guys reckon?

Thanks for your swift response ULP!

It was serviced at 41k in Feb and it's now at 46k in Aug. Unfortunately all I have is the pages of the service book filled in with a few ticks and a stamp - no details of what was actually done :confused:

Does the car make its own mind up as to when it wants a service? Is it feasible that it needs another so soon?

service Indicator.

Hi, I have the exact as you /but; it was caused when i had my last variable service and the reset was not implemented. The answer is to record your milage at last service then add on 20,000 miles, in your case;41,000 +20,000 =61,000 approx to your (next variable service,) may be a little more or less ( depends how you drive, also distances etc,) it is nothing to worry about, but you do have to put up with the SERVICE display each time you start up,
Cheers, ALAN.
ps, make sure 'reset' is done at next service.!!!

If you don't want the service reminder at start up, there is a way around it:

I recently tried to reset Alans indicator, nut due to a communication fault with the ECU, couldn't.

He is right in saying that you can just add a set mileage to the figure you had at the last mileage, but you could also reset the indicator yourself, to fixed intervals, and then just do 2 fixed intervals of 10k each.

As long as you use the correct oil, then you should be fine.

Most experts these days actually recommend the fixed service intervals anyway, unless you clock up losts of motorway/fast A road mileage.

To do a fixed reset, consult the handbook, or PM me.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi - when we bought our A2 the previous service had been on the cheap (not a dealer using fully synthetic oil otherwise known as longlife). We the put it into Audi for service and they did not set the computer to register that they had carried out a longlife service - hence the propmpt came surprisingly early for the next service. I took it in and they adjusted to show when the next should be based on fully synthetic oil.
You need to be sure that your last service used fully synthetic (longlife oil) I would not want to run 20,000 miles on cheap oil.
Cheers
;) Mark

Back