servo noises from behind glovebox/dash area

bobsimes

I know this has been covered before but there is still not much information on this subject to enable me to diagnose and repair.

When radio off and engine ruinning i can hear noises coming from behind the dash this seems to be located behind the glovebox or radio area (i can hear them when radio on but not as pronounced),

I would describe these noises as like a remote control car steering servo going back and forth every couple of seconds or so, i have climate on my 1.4tdi which seems to work ok and aircon and heat come out of the various vents as i select it.

looking on other posts these servo's control flaps for heating ect.

my questions are

1) does anyone elses "flaps" oer mrs!!! move back and forth every couple of seconds or is this normal.

2) if so has anyone managed to fix this.

3) should any faults show up on a vag com scan and which module should the servo's/climate be on?

4) if this movement of the servo's is not normal what could be the problem

all help appreciated.

I believe that when you set the climate control on Auto, it automatically controls the flaps (motorized by servos) in order to achieve the desired temperature on all the areas.
As a test, disable the Auto button and the sound should stop.

servo

yes turning off auto makes the servo noise stop.

so, now i have established it is the flap servo motors that are moving i did a test

at 21.5 temp the vents alternate from warm/cold and the servos can be heard continually moving back and forth alternatly, they also move back and forth every few seconds at higher /lower temps

is this normal or could it be a fault with a sensor or something??

simon

Hi Simon
The flaps stabilise fairly quickly on my car so your faulty sensor theory could be right.
If you don't have access to VagCom then ask Mike if you can book in to Skipton Autos for a scan.

Cheers Spike

servo flaps

i do have vag-com and have spent half an hour trying to find which module the aircon is under can anyone assist.

and anyone know which sensors may be at fault?

simon

it's not the sensors, it's the flaps. I can't remember the Vag-Com code for the reset, but it's there.

Or just get the errors from the climate box.

EDIT: it's go into the climate and then function 04. Start.

Bret

Last edited:
Back