Side Light Bulbs

Hi

can anyone tell me which size light is used? is there a part number?
one of my sidlights is out but i dont know the light size or code

The bulb is a 501 wedge type, try the Philips blue vision they are nice and white rather than yellow in appearance and look better when you use the xenon gas filled H7 dipped lamps
Mike

The original bulbs are W3w bulbs - i.e.3 watt.

If you fit the common W5w, then there is a danger of melting the plastic surround.

Cheers,

Mike

went to halfords and could only find the 501 bulbs 5 watt its fair bit brighter than the ones i had...anyone had problems with plastic melting?

went to halfords and could only find the 501 bulbs 5 watt its fair bit brighter than the ones i had...anyone had problems with plastic melting?

Er, yes - see my post below!

Your plastic shrouds WILL melt after a few weeks (possibly days) of use with those bulbs and they cannot be replaced - you have been warned.

Cheers,

Mike

You could just replace them with some nice LEDs.

It took me about 15mins to replace mine..

Got the led from Maplins and the necessary resistor, made a slight wiring adjustment (which can be retro fitted) and in they went..

They look amazing, nice blue/white and very bright and draw next to no current. At some stage I will look to see what is possible for the rears.

I have also added an extra bulb to left hand side of the car so that you have two rear fog lights rather than one and that looks the part as well..

Passed the MOT with them no problem and they really stand out if you have blue/white headlights.

Cost me less than £5 for the pair and will last for about 100,000 hours.

The original bulbs are W3w bulbs - i.e.3 watt.

If you fit the common W5w, then there is a danger of melting the plastic surround.

Cheers,

Mike

Wotcha, I was about to buy some Philips Blue Vision W5w sidelight bulbs and remembered this thread. My local Audi dealer have stated 12v W5w bulbs as a stock replacement item...is this right as I'm also having trouble finding standard W3w bulbs anywhere...

That's right, virtually nowhere stocks 12volt W3w anymore. The 5watters will burn the plastic in time, so you are better off getting a set of LED sidelights, as others have done recently.

Audi used to stock W3w, but have discontinued them now.

Cheers,

Mike

Any decent recommendations? I tried some LED sidelight bulbs in my Honda and they died after a few weeks :(

There are loads on ebay but I'm not 100% sure what is good or bad.

Back