Slow first start after standing

Paul325321

Hi - the forum is new to me and I have searched but can’t seem to find a thread on my issue, not sure I’m posting in the correct place but here goes.
I have a 2004 A2 1.4 petrol. I have to crank quite a bit for the first start of the day. I discovered that if I pause with the ignition in the on position and then turn the rest of the way to crank - the car fires up immediately. Car runs and starts fine the rest of the day unless there is a long pause without use then it takes a little longer to fire up. I have changed the fuel filter with an original (including pressure valve) from Audi with no effect.
I’m wondering if there is a fuel non return valve somewhere (perhaps built into the fuel pump ?) which prevents the fuel running back from engine to tank when the vehicle is not in use. With ignition on I can hear the pump work, if I wait a moment - I’m thinking it primes the fuel system and starting is instantaneous. Any thoughts or experience ?

Hi - the forum is new to me and I have searched but can’t seem to find a thread on my issue, not sure I’m posting in the correct place but here goes.
I have a 2004 A2 1.4 petrol. I have to crank quite a bit for the first start of the day. I discovered that if I pause with the ignition in the on position and then turn the rest of the way to crank - the car fires up immediately. Car runs and starts fine the rest of the day unless there is a long pause without use then it takes a little longer to fire up. I have changed the fuel filter with an original (including pressure valve) from Audi with no effect.
I’m wondering if there is a fuel non return valve somewhere (perhaps built into the fuel pump ?) which prevents the fuel running back from engine to tank when the vehicle is not in use. With ignition on I can hear the pump work, if I wait a moment - I’m thinking it primes the fuel system and starting is instantaneous. Any thoughts or experience ?
Hi Paul, personally I've always waited the few seconds it takes to complete the 'check' process on the display before starting up and it always starts immediately, even after sitting idle for a week, is the battery old or not in 100% tip top condition?
Good luck ... Tom

Hi Paul, personally I've always waited the few seconds it takes to complete the 'check' process on the display before starting up and it always starts immediately, even after sitting idle for a week, is the battery old or not in 100% tip top condition?
Good luck ... Tom
Thanks Tom, I’ll check the battery but it seems fine - turns over fast but no harm checking

Have you tried turning the key to all warning lights then putting on your seat belt then trying to start the car? Others have said that is the preferred way to start the car.
Does VCDS produce any errors? Could be a failing cam shaft sensor.

Have you tried turning the key to all warning lights then putting on your seat belt then trying to start the car? Others have said that is the preferred way to start the car.
Does VCDS produce any errors? Could be a failing cam shaft sensor.
Works fine if I do as you suggested but I want the car to be user friendly (some not so machine friendly drivers) and I can’t imagine this is normal. Nothing a few weeks ago on VCDS but I will check again. Thanks for the camshaft thought - had not occurred to me. I’ll post my findings.

Hi again Paul ... I wouldn't be worried if your car starts first time after completing the check sequence but as an experiment I've just started mine up after it's sat idle for a few days ... turned the key to position two without waiting and it started without delay ... although I'd be leaving the house ten seconds earlier and waiting if that's the solution 🤣

Wh
I bought the car only about 3 tank fills ago and have been using premium 102 octane in the hope of cleaning the fuel system with good stuff
Where did you find 102 octane? I wouldn't mind some of that.

I have a diesel A2 but my experience with VAG petrol cars going back 30 odd years is wait for the pumps to finish priming. They then start instantly.

Wh

Where did you find 102 octane? I wouldn't mind some of that.

I have a diesel A2 but my experience with VAG petrol cars going back 30 odd years is wait for the pumps to finish priming. They then start instantly.
Hi - I live in Germany and the Aral Petrol stations have as their premium 102 Octane- lots of porsche here ! Sound like pump is priming and not a show stopper to wait a moment - logically I would think there is a fuel non return valve somewhere in the system- maybe part of the pump assembly but I can find no reference. Just a bit frustrating as I’m not the only person to drive the car and I hate having to tell others to wait a moment - somehow it discredits the car while I’m singing its praise as an incredible innovation for its time. Just bugs me !

Hi - I live in Germany and the Aral Petrol stations have as their premium 102 Octane- lots of porsche here ! Sound like pump is priming and not a show stopper to wait a moment - logically I would think there is a fuel non return valve somewhere in the system- maybe part of the pump assembly but I can find no reference. Just a bit frustrating as I’m not the only person to drive the car and I hate having to tell others to wait a moment - somehow it discredits the car while I’m singing its praise as an incredible innovation for its time. Just bugs me !
... or you could explain to the other drivers that it's an Audi design feature to go through the check procedure to verify that the brakes, oil level, windscreen washer fluid etc are all working before you set off ... 🤣🤣🤣 .... safety first.

Indeed I want the fuel for a Porsche. Not available here in UK unfortunately.
Regarding waiting for the pumps to prime, it is just a few seconds. I have a MK2 Golf GTi, quite satisfying when the buzzing stops. Everything is good to go and it does.

I‘m still working on this issue (1.4 Petrol. 80,000 km, 2004) slow first start without priming. tI‘m convinced that while standing overnight the fuel is returning from the injection rail to the tank and the system needs priming the next day to start. There are no fault codes, fuel filter is new from Audi, using the best fuel I can buy. My assumption is that either one or more of the injectors is not sealing and allowing air when standing to enter the system or there is a non return fuel valve built into the fuel pump which has failed.
Next step is I‘m going to remove the injectors and see if I can find anything, maybe there is a way I can check for leaking. Unfortunately testing by replacing parts is an expensive option as injectors are about €120 each (VDO) and Audi quoted me an incredible sum for a replacement fuel pump. I see there was another member with the same problem who posted a wonderful article on removal and replacement of injectors. His conclusion was that his injectors were not the problem but unfortunately I can find no follow up threads. Fingers crossed as I would really like to close this thread with a problem solved.

My FSI very occasionally acts in the same way, good cranking speed, but not firing up. When it happens & l scan it, it sometimes gives an immobiliser recognition fault.
I changed the key battery & the problem went away.
Have you another key to try ?
It may be nothing to do with the battery, but the fact that l took the key apart to change it caused some kind of contact or component in the key fob to start working properly again.

God, l love electrical issues !!

Martin

Thanks Martin for responding, I‘ll give it a try, maybe I‘m on the wrong path just that I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the ignition to position 1, if I let it prime until the pump stops then turn the ignition switch to crank the car fires up immediately. Gremlins

Thanks Martin for responding, I‘ll give it a try, maybe I‘m on the wrong path just that I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the ignition to position 1, if I let it prime until the pump stops then turn the ignition switch to crank the car fires up immediately. Gremlins
Agree with your diagnosis ....... my FSI makes so many noises when I turn it on that I've never heard the pump at all !!!
Hope you get the issue solved ........ or create a start up proceedure togive to each user.

Does sound like a good anti-theft device, should someone try to steal !!

I`ve got a 2003, 1.4 petrol, I always let the fuel pump prime before turning the car on.

My car spends most of its life sitting, and I never have a problem starting.

Back