smoking auxiliary heater.. advice please

seanl

I had the car serviced less than 500 miles ago and a week or so ago I noticed intermittent smoking from the engine bay driver side. I booked it into Audi to check it out and after quite a while they said it was coming from the auxiliary heater. The service the car recently had involved a brake fluid and oil change. I notice that the brake fluid reservoir is sited in the vicinity of the heater (I think) so am wondering if they just spilt some fluid on the heater thereby causing the problem. They have quoted £1300 odd to replace the heater which I am obviously reluctant to pay if the problem is of their doing.

What do people think?

Last edited:
Perhaps an independant engineers report would be a good idea, considering the amount of money involved?

Hi seanl
The hetaer, which works like a miniature central heating boiler, is made by Webasto. If you'r certain the unit is faulty then try contacting them at the address on the link attached. They may be able to give you a report at a nominal cost and even fix it if required. (To me, it does not sound like the dealer is to blame)
http://www.webasto.co.uk/company/en/company_locations.html

Cheers Spike

Back