Softening gear changes

A2OPO

Hi,
I think that my A2 1.4 TDI gearbox it's a little stiff (22K kms).
I have no problems to change gears, but I have a VW Polo 1.2 Petrol (90K Kms), and the gearbox is much more soft.
I supposed that the Audi gearbox was similar than the Polo, it isn't ?
Can I do something (lubricate, oil verify/change), to try softening the gear changes?
Cheers

I have to agree that in my 1.4 petrol A2 SE, the gearbox is quite stiff. I did adjust the linkage (which improved the changes) but it remains quite firm through the gears. I was also wondering if a gearbox oil change would benefit. My car has done over 90000 miles, so maybe I am being picky, but a friends 04 plate Golf has a very light gear lever, so maybe something can be done to improve it. I have already lubricated the Gearstick and the transmission housing with grease.

I changed my gearbox oil on my previous a2 it didn't really make any difference (130k mileage).

Hi having both a fsi a2 and tdi the gearbox on the tdi is much stiffer in operation in comparison to the tdi--i think this is the norm.saying that driving is not really affected.
hope this helps mike

I had a chat with Vince at Stealth about this as all three Tdi's I've owned have had a stiff gear change. He said that he changed some parts (can't remember what now) for an A2 owner and this sorted the problem BUT, only for around six months and then it started to get stiffer again.

I think if you know A2's, a stiff gearchange on a Tdi shouldn't put you off as it seems to be another of the quirky little car's 'features!' ;)

Back