Some servicing I've done / things to look when buying

neo

A2OC Donor
Hi all!
Some time ago I've read a couple of posts what's good to check when buying an A2. So the story goes... One day driving by local Audi dealer spotted second hand A2. It got me so interested that a week after it was mine. But in all that Car's fine, great, just regular servicing... dealer stuff (and me thinking of having a warranty, what can go wrong?..) haven't payed much attention on a few things such as:
A bump pointing from inside of the front bumper.
Also, after a couple of days driving I've noticed that bonnet needed aligning...
Rep01.jpg

If anyone sees this on a car considered of buying don't think it's nothing, have the owner remove the bonnet, 'cause what you'll probably find is this:
Rep03.jpg

or to be more specific when I dismantled front bumper found out that
the front bumber's reinforcement ends made those "bumps from the inside"
Rep04.jpg

Took a good look, saw that radiator isn't broken or cracked so I kept driving while there was a chance to repair this and some other things that kept annoying me like rattles/knocks in front axle (after changing antirollbar) and in rear axle as well and front right door window lifter which is a common fault in older models. Bought some more parts...
Took me a day or so for the 1st round of repairs, polishing, gluing lights (both of 'em were cracked, moist went in made a layer...), changing the main part, aligning front wings and bonnet, after all these it looked much better.
Rep06.jpg

Next round was
New lifter
Rep09.jpg

Stop buffer, protective pipe on the rear shocks
Before
Rep10.jpg

After
Rep11.jpg

One more detail, of course, fresh painted rear drums
Rep12.jpg

The last job I've done was on the front shocks which included changing suspension strut storage, ball bearing, bellows, rubber stop, and that day I forgot to bring camera...
All of these repairs gave me more comfortable driving (also found out that on the one side complete shock absorber wasn't fastened properly),

So if you're looking to buy an A2 which isn't previously owned by someone you know or a fellow club member take a look on some of these things because I've actually seen one or two with the same misalignment of the front end.
Hope you've managed to reach the end without falling asleep, anyway thx 4 reading...

Cheers,

Neo

Last edited:
nicely written - yep, you need to be careful out there. At least the A2 is reasonably self-service-friendly - especially when you have sites like this that can explain and show you how :)

Bret

nicely written - yep, you need to be careful out there. At least the A2 is reasonably self-service-friendly - especially when you have sites like this that can explain and show you how :)

Bret

Thx and yes, you can learn massive amount of knowledge about A2 reading this forum (I did :D). It's great to be a club member, everyone is friendly, willing to help and share info.

Cheers

Back