Soon to be A2 owner, couple of Qs

sgoode

Hello,

After 4 years of owning a Leon Cupra that is expensive to run, tax, insure and fix, my wife and I have decided that the A2 is the ideal car for us. We are looking for a 1.4TDi or 1.6FSi.

I am going to look at this tomorrow, does it look a good buy? http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/cla....uk/is/autoedit/AETA96663/AETV55262970_1a.jpg

I'm not too sure about the colour of the seats, but otherwise it looks good.

Does the dashboard illuminate when the ignition is on regardless of whether or not the headlights are on? My Leon does this and it is something that I have grown to like, particularly in the dark underground car park where I live.

Also do all A2s have a courtessey light in the rear? I find this very useful for seeing what I'm doing when putting my son in his car seat.

I've been reading lots on this forum and am very excited about getting an A2. I just need to sell my Leon first and find a good one that's not too far away from me (Bournemouth). I want to get one before everyone realises that the tax is so cheap as they may be even more difficult to find then!

Hopefully I'll be posting on here a lot more soon with newbie questions about owning an A2.

Cheers.

Hello,

Yes the dials/needles are illuminated with the ignition on/lights off. Is neat, although at night it's sometimes easy to assume your lights are on when they're not!

I see what you mean about the seats! Each to their own! Saying that I have a red interior and I absolutely love it!

Might be worth checking out Pistonheads.com for A2s for sale - there were 20 odd for sale when I checked recently - they often have some very interesting ones on there. I bought my last 2 cars from pistonheads - cracking site.

Cheers,
Simon

Yes, there are lights in the rear on all A2.

The dashboard light: As far as I know, there are two version. Older and newer one. One (I think the newer one) can be programmed to illuminate when ignition is on and light is off.

Cheers for the warm welcome and speedy replies.

Yes I thought that car was maybe a tad expensive, but it does look to be in good condition. If they offer me a good part ex price on my Leon I could be very tempted.

The plan is for this to be a joint car for a couple of years and then become my wife's car, in which case the blue seats might not be too much of an issue (I think they're a bit girly), but I'd prefer a man colour like silver or black ideally. I'm not too concerned about age as long as it's good condition and has below average miles. I bought my Leon with higher than average miles and plenty has gone wrong with it (it's still only got 80k miles though). My car before that was an Ibiza GTi which had low miles and nothing went wrong with it at all in 4 years.

I've looked on Pistonheads and waste most of my working day looking on ebay, but there's not too many near me. And with a new baby we don't have much time to travel too far. Hopefully I'll find something soon and will be posting pictures of my new arrival!

touch pricey ask for 250 off full service and tank of petrol
rest looks in good nick - silver grey is useful at not showing longer term bumps and scratches - id go fer it

I looked at the silvery green one. It really was mint, I couldn't find any marks anywhere. Even the alloys weren't kerbed. However the most he would do was knock £100 off which I didn't think was good enough. particularly as it has 57k and not 50k as advertised. And he wouldn't let me drive it unless I more or less agreed to buy it which annoyed me a bit.

One thing I noticed was the battery in the boot was wet. Is that likely to be the leaky boot problem or general condensation?

I looked at a 1.6 FSi at the local Audi dealer. I had a drive in it but it was a whopping £10,000 for an 03 with 50k miles! I wasn't even thinking of buying anything that expensive but at least I've driven one now (and liked it).

Any water or condensation around the battery is likely to be caused by the usual vent leak problem. I've recently bought one of these vents to illustrate the problem - photos soon.

Cheers,

Mike

HI if he will only knock a ton off the price see if he will fit the cambelt as that is due at 60k, i bought mine this time last year it had done 56k all i've done is a set of tyres, cambelt thats it no problems its been a pleasure to own as alot of folk on here would agree

Cheers Phil

I'm now one of the gang.

I have just collected a 2002 1.4 SE in silver with 43k miles. Am very happy with it so far. It's got the sport seats which are nice, the symphony II stereo and it looks like it might have cruise control (it hasn't got DIS, but has several buttons on the indicator stalk - is that cruise?).

I don't miss my 200+BHP Leon Cupra at all.

It looks like it may have a slight leak in the boot, but every A2 that I looked at had the same, and it didn't put me off as all 4 doors leaked on my Leon so I'm used to it.

Everyone at work think it's great. They've never seen one before, and particularly like the interior.

Hi Phil
''it looks like it might have cruise control (it hasn't got DIS, but has several buttons on the indicator stalk - is that cruise?)''

It could well be cruise. If so the indicator arm will have a slide control on the front face and a button on the end of the stalk.

Cheers Spike

Thanks, looks like I do have cruise then, which is a nice suprise and something else to play with.

I keep finding small things that I love about the car. The stereo is really good too.

The plan was for it to become my wife's car when she's learnt to drive, but now I'm not so sure! I want to keep it!

Back