Sound of sloshing water

Hi All,

Great site!

I have noticed the sound of sloshing water whilst cornering in my 1.4 SE, checked the boot floor no water there, so it must be water trapped in the spoiler as there’s no drainage holes.

Anyone else experienced this, and how do you get the water out (and keeping it out) without resorting to using a drill?

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks

I think you'll find that it's the sound of fuel sloshing around in the tank. The spoiler is solid, so no chance of anything being trapped in there.

Cheers,

Mike

The spoiler is solid, so no chance of anything being trapped in there.

Cheers,

Mike
The spoiler is not massive at all! It is made from fibreglass plastic (only 1mm of the wall thickness) and I have the Projektzwo spoiler on it and for that needed to drill a hole each side and it is verry hollowly, I could see that after drilling the holes.
And there was a problem. Someone had water coming from the spoiler (caused by a bad rubber-seal between the spoiler and the rear window) into the holes in the glass inside the car.
But normally you find the water beside the battery.
But this could have the more common reason, Mike will tell you.

Edit: I now read your boot is dry. So it could be the spoioler! Check out the rubber seal betwenn the spoiler and the glass. Water could come into the spoiler right where the threaded rod comes from the spoiler though the glass into the tailgate.
This problem is rare, does not occur often.

Here are two guys with the same problem: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=22694&highlight=Wasser+Spoiler

Last edited:
I'd agree with Mike's diagnosis - it'll be the fuel in the tank.

Try it with the seat backs down - if the noise is louder, it's coming from the tank. If it sounds the same, it could be from the spoiler, although even if it is hollow, it won't hold that much water...

Yes, the fuel tank can cause this noise. If there is water in the spoiler, there will be some water coming out when the tailgate is open.

After washing the car there normally flows out a bit water which was between the glass and the spoiler but not inside the spoiler. But if it is a lot of water, it must be inside.

the spoiler that was on my old A2 was solid Thats why you drill holes into it to put those screws on the side of the extra spoiler

No. Then only teh verry left half inch and other side is solid. My screws are not coming from the side. They are from bottom to top and are 3/4" away from the border. And there it is not solid. But for stability, I believe the border is thicker/massive.

Back