Space-Floor-Box, storage system - uncomfortable?

brutto 76

I'm just planning a 150 mile drive to check out a TDi with this option. In the not-very-helpful photos of the car the owner has provided it looks as if it might be uncomfortable under foot and another thing to rattle and break. Does any one else have these have these fitted? I don't want to do a 300 mile round trip if these boxes are a nuisance?

The storage box lifts out very easily and can be put in the boot - it is not bolted to anything but there are two holes in the rear which fit over the carpet/mat retaining pegs. I find it provides useful additional storage inside the car (mine's full of CDs) and keeps items away from prying eyes. You can ony take one adult passenger in the back when it is installed and I would not recommend that even a smallish child sit on the same side as the under-seat storage box (I reckon it could cause problems for someone sitting on that side of the car if it was involved in a hefty prang - if their legs are long enough for their feet to rest on the top of the storage box). It also has to be removed if you want to fold the rear seats fully.

Even from vagparts.com it's a fairly expensive accessory so, if it comes with the car, take it as a bonus but it won't add anything to the value of the car.

P.S. It does not rattle and, being lined with carpet, nor should what you put in it.

Last edited:
Thank you Alanm. I've got a much better idea now of what it is. It would no doubt go into the shed and never emerge again.

Brutto 76 - if you have no use for it there's always ebaY. I saw one there a couple of months back - think it went for £30+. Being rather pedantic about colour matching, I got mine from vagparts.com - came to around £90 including delivery, ouch!

Looks like I won't be having a spare box anyway. The owner of this 2001 car refuses to accept that it was high time the cambelt was replaced and that the price should be adjusted to reflect that. "Rubber doesn't perish he said". Eeek!

Back