Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fraserd

Hi, can anyone tell me the size of the front and rear speakers in my A2 and will i need any adaptors to fit normal (4 holes, screw) components?

The guy at my local retailer aint to clued up on this, neither am I
(are the rear doors 13cm??)

Thanks in advance,

Fraser

Welcome to the forum, Fraser!

Doing a search for 'speakers' in the Audi discussion section (including archived items, so check that option or you will find too little!) will reveal enough info to give you the basic idea. For example:

http://www.a2forum.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1742

But the basic info is:
- front and rear speakers (the bass units) are about 16cm in diameter, BUT are custom-made out of one piece (adapter and speaker are one)
- adapters, specifically for the A2 do not exist
- making your own adapter is a bit of a chore, especially for the front, where you need to take the doorn catch into consideration (read the posts you find with a search. it will be clear then)

And many people are very happy with the Bose systems that Audi itself offers.
And other are just very good at DIY and go 'all the way' http://www.a2forum.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1749

If there's anything else you'd like to know or if you couldn't find something, feel free to ask again, of course.

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

i saw a detailed listing on the Blaupunkt site for an A2. Follow this link and put your car details in and it will give you the spec for each speaker mounting in the car. It obviously shows you the appropriate BP kit but it should be a reasonable reference for the various sizes needed from any manufacturer etc.

http://www.blaupunkt.co.uk/14_3.asp

Damon - '03 A2 1.4 Tdi SE, Silver

"Your past is not your potential" Unknown

Blaupunkt makes the OEM ones. Wasn't aware of the fact that they offer stuff for the A2 in their site.

However, be aware that the pictures you find of the installation kit can NOT be true to the actual kit. The picture shows no 'slot' for the aforementioned door catch, so in that form it would never fit! I'd have to see one before I believe they actually have one. On-line configurators and manuals are strange things, every now and then.

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Hi,
just had a full install in my A2....
you will have to use universal adaptors and then use 5 1/4" speakers.....this is for front and rear.
If you want more details then PM me..

jon

i had mb quart's psd series at the front and mb quarts coaxial at the rears.
These are running of a rockford amp 501x.

Guys

I called caraudiodirect.co.uk earlier... They can get 165mm adapters as well. I can't quote the price they gave me (as I moderate their forum and get special deals)

But it was much cheaper than £22 a set.. :)

They're not listed on the website yet but they can get them.

Hope this helps

Dave

HTH

Mason

Have just spoken to CAD and have ordered a set of Maystar G402 speaker adaptors from the a NON-Bose A3 as they had no specific ones listed, could you confirm if these are the ones you have used?

Regards Jon

Hi Jon

I can't 100% confirm this, but the adapters they said will fit were for the 2004 a3 model so that sounds right.
The guy I dealt with was called Dave if that helps.

I haven't attempted to fit mine yet as my speakers are still on order from the states..

I noticed you've joined talkaudio too :)

Cheers

Dave

For my sins. yeah have decided to throw myself back into the audio side of things, trying to approach the SQ route as oppossed to by previous boy racer efforts of big amps & subs to get max DB.

Have managed to sort out a system of reasonable effort just have to wait for dynamat to come back into stock and i can i will have a bash at fitting.

What speakers have you got coming across the pond ?

Mine will be a pure SQ setup, plently of amp power for just the fronts, I shouldn't even need a sub if I get it right as the speakers I'm using are pretty good :)

Then again I would say that as I import them myself..

http://www.morelusa.com/renaissance/wr-6.htm

I'll be using these mids and some high end tweets that look similar to these

http://www.morelusa.com/tweeters/mdt-33se/mdt-33se.html

I would post more, but the tweets have only just come off the production line :)

Plus I'm waiting for Dynamat to come back in too :)

Not messing about then Dave,

I'm Hoping that Diamond Hex`s will provide me enough up front but just to be safe i`m going to throw a JL W3v2 in the boot!!!

Unless you've heard them and really love them I'd advise listening to them first.

I ran a set of the tweets before and after loads of repositioning I did not like them at all. The mids aren't that great either. IMO the Diamond M5 comp sets were better, as are the M6's. But honestly the silk tweets are not great and the HEx's are overpriced IMO.

There are many better speaker sets in that price range..

Have only heard a set in a an S3 before but i fell in love with them, have to wait and see how i get on with them in the A2

OK mate best of luck :)

For better results try the tweets in the kicks. As having them off axis in the doors will make then a little harsh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back