Split Intercooler

megapup0

O.K.
after moths of trying to find my problem with sudden lack of power ignition off/on all is o.k.
Vag Com tells me I have a negative pressure at the vgt (i think thats the turbo). After checking around, the intercooler is split a common problem it would seem.

Is it likly that this is my problem - £214 from Audi but I have noticed that some people have had custom ones made - any body got some info I know it would be more expensive but it might last longer.

Has anybody changed there intercooler it looks a bit tricky some instructions woulbe good.

Cheers.

Can you just confirm as i have a similar problem with mine.

I can drive for days and not get anything and sometimes when im driving its like a loss in power although the car still accelerates ( alot slower ) and struggles to get to 3000rpm, As soon as i switch the ingnition off and then on the problem has gone.

Audi did a diagnostic and found a fault with charge pressure and are trying to tell me its the Turbo that needs replaced. But having explained to them it must be electrical as it resets itself immediately when the ign is switch off and on they are not so sure but still suggest i replace the turbo (£1097 a pop). So im trying the cheaper option first replace the N75 boost valve £24 and the Thrust pressure sensor £35 (this is found on the pipe to intercooler) if this rectifies it i will let you know if not can you tell me if changing the intercooler helps.

But if a car goes into limp mode you would get some sort of indication on the dash ie engine management etc would you not??

Having just looked at the link you posted my intercooler looks exactly the same state as the faulty one pictured.

Who do i contact for one of these uprated ones??

Last edited:
Hi gents thanks for the replies, Im getting quit a bit of black smoke its definatly soot not oil, there is no indication on the dash when this limp mode happens because vag com only considers it as a pending problem.

Limp home mode doesn't necessarily trigger an ECU dash indication, but should log in VAGCOM.

When I used to own my S2, the community was plagued with boost leak problems - the turbo ran pretty high pressure (especially when chipped) and it was a very common cause of slightly strange running and performance issues. In 99% of cases, it was a leaky rubber hose that caused the problem, not a metal part failure or even a the N75 (although they do go, they go quite slowly).

I will assume that because the same physics apply, that first I would suspect is any of the high pressure hoses in the system first before thinking of spending £1000 on a turbo, or even £200 on an intercooler.

Does anyone make a boost pressure testing kit for the A2?

After making a visual inspection for obvious hose splits, or hoses that have fallen off completely (I saw that one once - someone was complaining of no boost - the main high pressure hose from the turbo into the intercooler had completely detached!), it's nice to be able to pressurise the system and see if any leaks can be detected...

when my turbo is boosting my wife and my Bro in law say they can hear air so will check all the hoses first then go the intercooler route.

Suppose the only real way to see leakage is on a rolling road when the car is accelerating under load then you can have a look in.

Hi Marco

Ref your question about a replacement aftercooler, this is an extract from one of the posts in the above thread.

''I think it being made by forge-motorsport Vince from Stealth Racing is handling the source and install''

Cheers Spike

Custom Intercooler

I have the custom intercooler in the thread listed above.

The prices are also listed there; it takes about 4 hours to fit.

Yes the custom one is more expensive but is guaranteed for life.

From the rolling road results its not giving much of an increase in power but will affect your insurance.

Unless you plan on up-ing the output to the level of Skiptons Tank, I would have the alloy endcaps made and welded on.

Vince at Stealth Racing is the man...

Back