Starter motor replacement 1.4TDi

Le Chat

Hi

I have been advised by Audi main dealer to replace my starter motor.

They have quoted £185.00 ish for the job and I notice you can buy them for £65.00.

Seeing as though my husband loves to tinker with engines, is this a tough job on the A2. I found another post on here about this but for the petrol engine.

Mine is diesel, is it a DIY job or is £185.00 going to save me a headache!!!

Thanks!!!

Le Chat

Not sure where you get the £65 from - the current prices (ablbeit from Audi) are £147 plus the old one or £267 if you aren't giving them the old one.

I suspect that the price quoted is not for parts, but to lubricate the starter clutch/solenoid assembly. Are you experiencing squeal on start-up by any chance?

Based on a typical rate of £88 plus VAT per hour, there obviously isn't a margin for parts, other than a bit of grease!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike, in anycase is it an easy DIY fix for the start up squeal? I've had it for a few years and know it must be a dirty starter motor, I just never thought about fixing it because i've been told it is a minor issue ;-)

Removal is FAR easier on the diesels, needing just a couple of components shifting from above and then the rest is from underneath, with the tray removed.

On the petrols, you need to remove coolant hoses and then get underneath as well!

If it's just a niggle, leave it!

Cheers,

Mike

Back