starting fine cold, but nothing when warm

gbromley

Hi all
I hope someone may be able to help, just got in my 51reg 1.4 petrol today as usual and it started fine , drove for around 20 mins stopped then tried to start again absolutely now activity from the engine , all lights on the dash as normal but nothing from under the bonnet, waited 5 mins and it started to turn really slowly like there wasn't enough power to turn engine over, waited a little while longer and hey presto it starts again fine first time.
I think I have had a similar issue before and changed a temperature sensor but I don't recall the engine turning really slowly last time.

Any thoughts greatly received

Thanks

Gavin

Hi all
I hope someone may be able to help, just got in my 51reg 1.4 petrol today as usual and it started fine , drove for around 20 mins stopped then tried to start again absolutely now activity from the engine , all lights on the dash as normal but nothing from under the bonnet, waited 5 mins and it started to turn really slowly like there wasn't enough power to turn engine over, waited a little while longer and hey presto it starts again fine first time.
I think I have had a similar issue before and changed a temperature sensor but I don't recall the engine turning really slowly last time.

Any thoughts greatly received

Thanks

Gavin

A broken temperature sensor might make it difficult to START when warm but it would have no impact at all on how quickly the starter motor turns.

You have two possible causes (at least)
a dodgy starter motor (when hot the metal expands and can cause contact problems etc.)
A bad earth / connection, but this would not change depending on temperature.

So if this really is ONLY a problem when hot and NEVER when cold, then it would not be the connections.

So my money is possibly on a dodgy starter motor, but they can be a little expensive (but should be the right side of £100) so do check the connections, especially the earth and both battery connections before you spend any money.

Steve B

Crankshaft sensor?
Thread on it here. Somewhere!

Worth checking but I am not sure if it would give the symptoms
"absolutely no activity from the engine "
"waited 5 mins and it started to turn really slowly like there wasn't enough power to turn engine over"

But as I said, well worth checking things before you spend any big money.

Steve B

I'm with Steve, if it cranks slowly it can only be the starter, the battery or the wires & connectors in between. Bad hot start is a classic symptom of a bad starter motor, but could be earths near engine. IMHO very unlikely to be anything fancy like sensors.

thanks for those suggestions so far it gives me somewhere to start looking before I spend any larges amounts of cash

Thanks all

Gavin

I've had something very similar and it's getting worse*– recently the engine has cut out mid journey, all power cuts from the throttle and the engine turns over slower and slower and then stops, and I have to hope that someone can give me a hand pushing the car to somewhere safe! I've had the fuel filter replaced and diagnostics show something to do with the fuel intake…

Can anyone recommend anywhere SE London to have this looked at? Thank you!

(I have a 2003 1.6 FSI)

Last edited:
Back