Starting Issues AGAIN....

AjM

Sorry to start another topic with the same title. I have read topics with this title for hours and still not got an answer so i thought i would start my own and hope for the best.

I have a 1.4 TDI 2001. Most of the time starts no probs (-10 a week or so ago, started on the button). Sometimes, usually when warm or hot it will not start for toffee and will take a good 10 secs of cranking to fire. I have had it on vag com and no faults. Fuel filter is fine and everything is working as it should (except of course whatever is causing the problem). This issue is completely random and go days without doing it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

Oh and Hi :)

Coolant temp sensor confusing the ECU?

When it does start on these warm/hot 'non starts' does it produce smoke thus indicating over fuelling (unlikely though)

Diesels are very reliable starters - unless there is air in the system somewhere..............................................

Don't forget that with diesel, air getting in does not necessarily mean fuel getting out.!

I can't say i have noticed any. I monitored the coolant temp on VAG - COM for ages and it seemed spot on.
However one other thing i forgot to say ios my fuel economy has halved. I am luck to get 200 miles out of a tank (35mpg ish).
I am guessing it is all related....

Last edited:
had my drivers door reradjusted by audi after the repair last year and got them to have a look at mine
They couldnt find anything wrong with it at all it was behaving for them took the kids to leeds for the ice rink stopping off at a shop and it wouldnt start agin v annoying or what. This time though it did start after a few cranks .
The technicians parting words were 'fuel filter or temp sensor' starting with fuel filter. I nearly bought one from them but at £49.99 baulked at the idea thinking i must be bale to get one elsewhere cheaper. So i am going down this route now for the time being as youve got to ensure the basics are alright before moving on through elimination.
I will do fuel filter replacement and checks, temp sensor (if anyone can tell me where it is is the one just behind the front bumper?) then harness type stuff iniside only after exhausting other possibilities.
Interestingly enough my last fault code checks out on autodata as crankshaft sensor not engine speed sensor whihc is what vag com says so a little look there might be of use too
Paul

Well i have not got anywhere with finding anything wrong but it is behaving at the moment. Fuel economy is a bit better now on for 50mpg over the tank but then i have been on the motorway every day...
Fuel filter and all temp sensors are spot on.

mine played up again thwe other day after replacing fuel filter which was seated correctly anyway. I took it to a bosch agent in wakefield and had a chat with him he would go for crankshaft sensor
mine will start after a bump start and he was saying that he could see that a bump start could generate more of a signal than a straightforward cranking from the key thereby generating more of a signal and allowing the car to go
I am now looking arouond for this part today but cant get one for love or toffee.
Wife wants me to chaNGE it but i dont want to as ive got evrything on it that uou could want with exceptionof skipton headlights

Paul

Back