steering issue related to charging ??

stuart o

Hi - been having probs with steering since last few months, Power steering is very intermittent - lights also seem to flutter in brightness,this seems to tie in with the sound of a pump operating at varying speed under the bonnet - I have ben told this could either be an earthing issue or an Alternator problem. I have slackened / retightened the main engine earth lead to chassis ( behind the power steering fluid reservoir ) - has anyone experienced this problem and if so what is the best repair option ??
I have checked the P/S fluid level and topped up but the amber light still comes on every now and then :confused:

any thoughts would be appreciated..

Stuart

The power steering pump failed on mine a few months ago...didn't give too much notice though, just the warning light came on one day and steering went heavy. It righted itself for a mile or so and then failed again, you could hear the pump trying to get going again, doing so but then struggling again.

The lights issue has been mentioned before in relation to the steering, this is fairly normal operation due to the temporary extra drain on the electrics, maybe yours could be more pronounced if the pump is struggling?

Hope is not the pump though, it wasn't so cheap to replace!

Cheers

David

Back