Steering Wheel Judder....

shezlee

Over the past 2 - 3 weeks I have had steering wheel judder when braking, more noticable at 40+ mph.

I took her to Audi who suspected (after a test drive) warpped disc's and book her in for an inspection, only to be told there was no visual signs of disc warpping, uneven pad or tyre wear.... although the tyres were low low, I agreed these needed to be changed (done) and provisionally booked her in again if the judder is still there (suspect it still is just dampened a bit more)...

Has anyone had or having this issue...

Regards

re wheel judder

i recently had steering wheel judder. a test drive by an audi mechanic found no problem on the test drive but when it was ramped it was found that the anti-roll bar bushes were shot. not a cheap repair for 60p worth of parts though. steering now better than ever. had full laser tracking front and rear. all work carried out on a chance visit to audi bridgend, excellent.

Judder when braking

I have had exactly the same problem and have mentioned it in previous posts. Have had three new sets of discs and pads to date and each time ,after about 2500 miles, the drivers side disc has started to cause a severe judder through the steering wheel when braking. (Also had new tyres all round.)

Two different mechanics (non-Audi) are both baffled why this is happening !! That makes three of us.... Would love to get to the bottom of it as it spoils an otherwise fine car.

A2 1.4 Petrol 2000 X

Hi Chris
This is probably stating the obvious but has the drivers side hub ie. the disc mounting face been checked for distortion. It sounds like each new disc is being pulled out of shape when the wheel bolts are torqued up.
Normal procedure is to check for any surface irregularities which would prevent the disk from seating snugly then use a dial gauge to measure the run out of the hub face. (a bit like checking a buckled bike wheel)

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike

Thanks for your reply.

The run out has been checked each time and they can't find a problem there. I did kerb that wheel a couple of years back but since then the wheels and tyres have all been swapped.

Chris

Update..

Well she's been back and audi have replaced the discs and pads.... and all is OK in the world....well our A2

As for paying for it thats ongoing...

for info
You get 6 months or 6000 miles as an Audi warranty on the discs after this time you will need to pay something towards the replacements (maybe ... still waiting to hear from them)

3rd set of front discs and pads in 12 months

Hi, I am a new poster here and I am the proud owner of a 2001 A2.

I too am getting really sick of the problems with the front brakes. I have had three sets of discs and pads on the front and today I noticed noise and excessive heat from the drivers side again!

I don't want to part with my beloved car but can't afford it's habit of trashing brakes!

List of possible suggestions/remedies very greatly received.

Mines still on the originals at 35k, mind you they're about due as are the original front tyres!

Aikon said:
Mines still on the originals at 35k, mind you they're about due as are the original front tyres!
Now there's someone who's easy on their brakes and tyres!!!

Original discs lasted 48K miles, so when they went at 55K miles I was not best pleased.

I forgoten how many tyres I've been through, not all due to wear I must add.

Still no word on who's paying for the discs and pads...

little_blue_tank said:
Hi, I am a new poster here and I am the proud owner of a 2001 A2.

... today I noticed noise and excessive heat from the drivers side again!
QUOTE]

You could have sticking brake calipers.

Update: the little blue tank is in the garage to have a sticking caliper replaced, so hopefuly I'll get better mileage out of this set of discs and pads. Is it my imagination or do the A2s have a caliper problem? bearing in mind they were only in production for a few years there seem to be several stories of front brake problems reported on this site.

Hi Chris, I have the same problem on my A2 52 plate. had the discs and pads changed at around 25,000 miles. The orginal discs which they changed were unevenly worn across the discs, never known discs to wear like that except when inferior components were used! Anyhow, ever since I had the discs changed there is definitely a problem with wheel vibration when I brake at 40mph. I can also feel it when the car slows without too much brake applied, therefore I'm firstly going to check the run-out on the discs with a micrometer, then look at a few other things. As many others have complained about tyre wear, I also have the same problem with inside tyre wear at the front because of the way the camber is set. Maybe because of the large amount of camber it's causing some kind of resonation at certain speeds under braking, Audi must be aware of these problems as many people are complaining. I think we should put these problems at Audi's door and get some sensible answers. It seems a waste of time asking at the Audi garages.

Judder judder !

Hi Dave

Thanks for your response. Apologies for delay in replying but haven't logged in for a while. Did you find out why there was so much judder under braking ? The independent mechanic that I use and myself are at a complete loss as to why this keeps happening about 1000 miles after discs and pads have been replaced.
Apart from this annoying problem I have really enjoyed owning the car BUT it is making me seriously consider parting with it.

Back