Stiff gear change and wiper blade issue. Advice welcome

olly811

Hi all,

I have always had helpful advice on a2oc so I hope you guys can help me with these queries as well;

1-Recently I have had problems engaging reverse gear, and now the problem has spread to 3rd and sometimes 4th gear. I usually have to wiggle the gear stick and double clutch it to engage the gear fully. It happens 80% of the time when selecting 3rd and 20% of the time for reverse and 4th. Bushes? Linkages? I'm no expert but I would love some advice before I take it to my local garage.

2-Front windscreen wiper noise drives me crazy! The wiper blade is a single arm and is very heavy so it bangs on the driver side windscreen strut. It seems to have got worse over the years and seems quite slow even when on full speed. It really can not handle a heavy down pour. Is there any way of adjusting the mechanism so it does not travel so far? Anyone had similar issues?

Regards, Olly.

Have you had a look at the mechanism beneath the wiper and the motor mount? It sounds like it may have come loose. If so, you definitely want to fix that before your wiper grinds to a halt completely.

Alternatively if everything is tight, you could have an electrical problem. Worn bushes in the motor could be a culprit. Again you want to fix that before the wiper stops working at all!

I'm no expert on the A2, but these were problems on my previous car.

Unless it is clutch wear it sounds as though the gearchange mechanism needs adjusting, do a 'search' and i am sure you will find the insructions on the site. As for wiper issue I take it you have replaced the blade itself regularly.....? Otherwise it does seem as though it could be worn/tired motor or is the wiper arm loose on the spindle?

Hi all,

I have always had helpful advice on a2oc so I hope you guys can help me with these queries as well;

2-Front windscreen wiper noise drives me crazy! The wiper blade is a single arm and is very heavy so it bangs on the driver side windscreen strut. It seems to have got worse over the years and seems quite slow even when on full speed. It really can not handle a heavy down pour. Is there any way of adjusting the mechanism so it does not travel so far? Anyone had similar issues?

Regards, Olly.

Wel it sounds like its been fitted to high at the rest possitio, to adjust this you'll have to remove dust covers and then undu both nuts remove the arm and refit it one or two splines round on the drives

Phil

Sorted!

Well, all is sorted. Thanks a bunch people.

I followed the link above to the you-tube video. Its all quite easy to do and I found the rubber/foam pad beneath the gear stick gaiter had already been damaged from a previous removal so it was east to just pull out. Also, the small black 'l' shaped lever that locks the gear box in 'home position' was a little tricky to operate. I had to rotate it more than 90 degrees and push it in to lock the mechanism, not sure if that is faulty or normal. But anyway, it all works OK now.

Regarding the wiper blade noise, I had a closer look. The motor and housing are sound, the problem appears to be at he top of the wiper arm itself. The bracket looks loose, twisted and worn. I think I will replace the whole arm. Anyone know a good place to find one? Other than eBay of course.

Thanks all for your helpful advice.

Olly.

try our friends at Stoke Audi.
Plenty have changed to the new wiper arm/blade and seen a huge improvement. Mine appeared to speed up with the change over too

Back