Stiff gear change when engine cold

nolan

A2OC Donor
I've looked into some old threads on this but I wondered if anyone had any input as the front-back stick movement is really stiff when the car is cold, but it eases as soon as the car is warm. Side to side movement is fine.

I guess the next step is to disconnect the cables from the linkages under the bonnet to isolate whether the issue is in the gearstick ball / cables or whether it's the bearings in the linkage or gearbox.

It's weird that it gets better when warm though! I cleaned out around the gearstick a few years back as the original rubber cover had disintegrated into rubber crumbs and applied some lubricant to the visible parts of the plastic ball.

Car is a 52 plate AMF 1.4 diesel.

Watching this thread with interest as I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. I also get a notch in the forward motion of the gear lever like some play or slop is suddenly being exposed - less so now that there is less stiffness with the warming up of the weather.

Yes disconnecting the selector cables may help but you say only when cold. I would replace the gearbox oil with Audi spec firstly. Audi claim the gearboxes were filled for life but the oil does degrade and frequently gets diluted with water through the tower shaft.

An often overlooked area is the pivot bush on the bell crank #48 and the sliding shoe as they do wear out over the many years of use.

Thanks, gearbox oil sounds like a sensible place to start as regardless, it's probably the original oil and will benefit from being changed.

Will check out the other ideas above as well, obviously cables suspect but I can't really figure out why they would get better once warm.

I just ordered 2L of Gearbox Oil (G060726A2) from audipartsdirect.co.uk as I'm pretty sure the oil in the box is 21 years old :oops:

That's not going to smell good when it comes out!

Although I too think the oil is the best place to start, is your n/s water drain cup present and correct?

Hi,
I'm having trouble with my gears too. I've just had my A2 for 20 years and am sure that the gearbox oil is still the same.
I mainly have trouble going from 4th in to 3rd, where I have to use force sometimes to get in to 3rd. Now and then when I think it's gone in to 3rd it hasn't and then crunches. Also feels a bit weird going in to 5th, as if it hasn't!!. The car has recently been serviced and the report found that 'selector shaft has play in it and cable seizing up, advise replacement gear selector shaft with possible cables'.
Should I also try an oil change first? Any thoughts,
Thanks, Heather

I changed the gearbox oil, it wasn't too hard once I'd purchased a 17mm hex socket to get the oil drain plug out.

The gear change is still stiff though so it's on to checking the cables and the gearstick assembly.

Anyone ? Its a 1.4tdi BHC ,the tower now as gearbox oil coming out of it ! Just need to know what to get to replace tower and seals ,barrings and the like, Thanks.

Last edited:
Anyone ? Its a 1.4tdi BHC ,the tower now as gearbox oil coming out of it ! Just need to know what to get to replace tower and seals ,barrings and the like, Thanks.
Personally I would fit a later gearbox like a MZN

You need a set from Audi Tradition, O2A-301 227-M bearing & rubber seal.

Here is a picture of the set:
1690387869157.png

Thanks Ami ,tried Audi Tradition but theres none of those parts listed, anyone got a tower i could just throw in so car is usable to get started on replacing gearbox clutch and such, thanks.

Getting a car in tomorrow, lets hope its diesel for 3 members sake who have asked for parts.

Back