Stiff gear shift?

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Just wondered what the view was on how stiff the gearshift on the Tdi should be? Mine is quite heavy and stiff, esepcially when cold, although it does improve after a while. Is it worth changing the gearbox oil, or is it a sign that the 'box is going to fall out!

Hi Dan,

How long have you had your car? Has the gear shift become more stiff with time, or has it always been the same? I ask because I originally thought there was a problem with my car. However I've now grown accustomed to it, and I'm sure it's "normal" (although it is stiff say compared to my wife's Merc A-Class).

4 days so far - if it's normal then that's fine, just seems quite heavy for an Audi - admittedly the shift in my now sold A4 quattro was the nicest gear shift I've ever used, but then all my previous Audis have had lighter and more direct shifts than this. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

It's done 80k by the way if that makes any difference - is 'box oil on the service schedul?

My car's done about the same mileage (82K). Don't know how often the gear box oil should be checked or changed, but someone will know...

A2 stiff or not stiff

Hey there

I had the same problem with my A2s stiff gear change it takes some getting used to.:) lol

Cheers,

A2sport

Gear shift

Hi Dan,

The gear shift is much stiffer on the A2 since it is done by cable. The gear box is located in the engine compartment rather than beneath the drivers left(or right) elbow (or close by). The shorter linkage in the A4 results in lighter feel than the A2.
Even if oil change is not prescribed, you do no wrong by having it done. If you do, spend the xtra for a good full synthetic oil. Don't know if it has to be done on the a2. On the A4 manual box is: never!!! Still had it done on mine at the 50000 miles. Don't hurt and it is nice to see the dealers face when you insist in doing it.

Good motoring. DJ.

Glad to hear everybody's got a stiff one. Ooh eer!

The shift in my 6-speed A4 was the nicest gearbox I've used in any car, was absolutely lovely. Never mind, it's gone now.

I dont think changing the gear oil is any good, I changed mine and it made no difference if not a little worse however I didnt have audi oil put back in.

I popped the bonnet off mine and sprayed the linkage.
dont know if it helped but to me it feels more slick:)

That helps for a few days then it goes back to normal, I believe that stealth racing in warwick have fixed the shift gear change for someone here, maybe worth trying them if you want it smoother

Back