Stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abrammer

My A2 is long gone having been stolen just before midnight on Friday 28/2/03 in Docklands (London UK):(

It's a 1.4Tdi SE (LJ51 FPE - modern Euro plates from Whites Audi) in Metallic Dark Blue, grey interior, 16inch wheels with some scuff marks to the passenger front wheel and head lamp guards. It also has a RNLI back window sticker.

If you see an A2 matching or similar (plates will most certainly have been changed now), parked up or about (lets face it there are not that many around) please let me know.

Cheers

Sorry to hear that!!! I always thought that because they are so rare and not so popular (to the uninformed people!) they won't get stolen... Was it fully locked and the alarm armed?

and iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve

No - I got out of the car to open my garage and the thief ran up from behind - jumped into the car and drove off. Quite a nerve given I was never more than 3 metres from the bonnet.

Police came round within 5 mins and were very helpful but they think it has been nicked to sell on rather then dump and burn out.

That is most unlucky mate.

With that kind of theft one has to assume that the thief was gunning for you in any case and has probably got your movements sussed,, might be worth trying to think back,, ie any other cars in the area as the chances of thief walking to your home is pretty small,, just a thought.

That is bad luck - sorry to hear about it.

Just out of interest, what did your insurance company have to say about it?

2001 TDi SE | Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest
www.Audi-A2.co.uk | www.A2Forum.net

That restores my faith in the A2's alarm and immobiliser again! Count yourself lucky that you are in one piece... As car alarm/immobilisers get better, the thieves can only steal cars with the original key - thus they have to hijack it with you around and get rid of you somehow to get the car... I saw on TV that the favourite place to steal cars this way is at fuel stations. I NEVER leave my car alone with the keys in it. Coming from South Africa I think I may be a bit paranoid about security - but these days it is the main way of stealing cars in SA. And at gun-point most of the time. So count yourself lucky.

One of my friends asked me once what is the difference between Johannesburg and London? 10 years he said dryly. So give it a few years and all cars in the UK will have standard anti-hijack alarms, doors that lock above 6mph (as mine do) and selective unlocking of driver's door alone or all doors with a second push of the button...

Insurance is a bit of a worry - I'm with Direct Line. Theft with keys in ignition is specifcally not covered in the policy so they will be sending an investigater around to interview me. The only good news is a mate of mine who has an S3 says that a lot of their forum members have had their cars stolen in a similar fashion and the insurance have paid out.

The police think I was certainly watched coming and going but I never saw the person waiting for me - its a lesson to learn and I shall be following Johann's advice in the future....

I am not confident I shall be reunited with my A2 though but fingers crossed!

I think we all shall be following Johann's advice in the future...

Maybe I should start looking into a deal with a tracker supplier...

2001 TDi SE | Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest

This sort of theft is becoming more common - a colleague had his keys stolen after thieves broke into his house and they nicked his car. The A2 I've just purchased came fitted with Tracker, which came as a pleasant surprise and I'd recommend it to everyone. Initial cost is about £300 then £99 per year subscription, or £300 for the time you own the car.

Mine came with the Tracker already fitted so only paid a transfer fee and subscription (Duration - Time I own the car)

There are NO markings visible to show there is one fitted, but when I asked why I was told that they would like to catch the theif red handed and press charges. Can't complain about that:)

Lets hope we don't have to use them..

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Dolphin Grey,
Original Audi 6 CD Changer (Fitted in proper location by me)

quote:Originally posted by Stuart_D

Something that may interest everyone... http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/eng.htm

hmmm thanks... looks like exactly what I was after to get the sunroof to close with the windows...

the www.vag-com.co.uk website does not want to open for some reason though through the link provided...

Sounds very interesting. I'd be interested if it can be programmed to shut windows/roof upon locking of the car.

A friend with and S3 has been looking into the same device. It apparently plugs into a socket in the roof of the ashtray in an A3. Does anyone know where this plug is on an A2?

Also Stuart, do you have a ball-park figure on the cost of this?

Also, the plug is compatible with all new Audi's. So if you have more than one Audi, you could have twice as much fun

1.4SE petrol in Merlot Red, Biege interior, 16" 5 spoke alloys, DIS, Open Sky, Elec rear windows.

The plug seems to be on under the dashboard on the left side of the car (a bit under the lightswitch on LHD versions). At least that´s where the mechanic connected his TabletPC the last time I watched...

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS, Apple iPod :)

RHS just to the right and behind the fuse box is a "D" type socket.

Andrew - 2003 1.4 TDI Silver Climate

At these sort of prices it is surely cheaper to take your car to Audi and have them do whatever for you? As to checking up on them re what they have done etc etc... surely you should "trust" them on that...

Stuart maybe A2OC can buy one pack and everytime we have a get together pay you a tenner to use it and set our options? :D

It's not a bad idea - although I don't really fancy forking out ~£200 for it at the moment. The 'donation' pot is slowly building up but there are some things in the pipeline at the moment that some of the money has been allocated to.

So I'll wait for more donations to come in and then invest in one for everyone to use at socials.

Brilliant... why don't you do a post outlining specifically what "donations" can go for... including this... I'd gladly contribute if it can also go for one of these devices... and you'd get a massive get together as a result!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back