Strange Vibrations !! ??

andyman

OK We have noticed a couple of strange vibrations,
Firstly when starting from cold first thing in the morning the car starts fine but there is a heavy split second harsh vibration as the engine catches and starts,
Usually does this when slighly colder, ie didnt do this much, if at all in the hot summer.
Further startings are smooth and qiuet, just this first one of the day or sometimes it may do it at the end of the day if its been left for the day ie after work.
Any ideas please??.

Second vibration can be in any weather but always only when on tickover most noticably when waiting at traffic lights, can happen when cold or hot,
tick over sounds normal and the revs are perfect but it feels like its hunting or something and the cars feels like its got vibrations running through it from the engine- hard to explain???.
strangly enough my work vehicle has the same thing !! ??.

Any ideas / assistance would be greatfully appreciated.

Regards Andy.

Last edited:
Works vehicles are 54 plate Vauxhall Movano 2.5 cdti with only about 60 ish K on the clocks, well maintained as they are Ambulances!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, how would a garage be able to tell which injector may be blocked and is this a costly job please??

Also I'm in shock re the flywheel problem as the symtoms match- sadly.
Can anyone tell me more please??,
will it get worse and how and is it really an engine and gearbox out job??,
I'm still trying to find someone to do the service and cambelt and water pump and MOT, is the flywheel/clutch job costly??.
This could all mount up to an absurd amount of money considering we havent had it very long.:(

Sorry, can't offer advice specific to the A2. However, my son bought a 2001 MK4 Golf 1.9 tdi (130 bhp) last December with 68,000 miles on the clock. He had to get the turbo replaced (£1000) and the VW dealer who did the job claimed that the dual mass flywheel was also defective and needed replacing - they estimated around the job would cost in the region of £900 - £1000. Fortunately their diagnosis was overly pessimistic as the car has done 16,000 fault free miles since and £600 towards the cost of the turbo was paid by the firm he took out a used car warranty with.

Given the work that is involved from the links earlier in this thread, looks like the above figures may be a tad low for dual mass flywheel job being done on an Audi.

If your diagnosis is confirmed, your best route to minising the financial pain would be via an independent Audi/VW repairer.

There no way I'm paying out a grand for a flywheel job on a car I only bought 6 months ago!!,
I would rather sell the bloody thing and buy something thats going to be reliable.:mad:

Hi Andyman
I suggested there may be a problem with the glowplugs - not the injectors. On the AMF engine models each glowplug should be checked for continuity and any suspect unit can be removed and connected to a 12v supply for further testing. If the plug tip does not glow red then the unit is faulty. I understand other engines with a different model code need a special test procedure as the above method can cause damage but your garage should be aware of this.
If you have not already looked, there is loads more flywheel info on the forum. Just do a search on dual mass

Cheers Spike

Andyman
My 90 also "has the shakes"at lights--especially if car is at angle.Since it was still under 3 years old and less than 15,000 miles,I took it in and "winged"
When demonstrated to service manager I was told the immortal----"There all like that"
The only plus point---it's not changed in 7000 miles
dick

Spike, yeah thanks I got somewhat confused then I think.
If needed is a new glow plug and labour costly please??.
Also i did read the link you put in but didnt understand much of it!!??.

Dick thanks for the support mate, The car has been doing the "shakes" since i bought it and so far has not changed at all and our some of our work vehicles also do this and though they seem to display this problem harsher than my car they have not got any worse in the last year or two.

My main problem is that Kelly(wifey) doesnt really get on with the car and still wants an A4 and if we get probs with this one then she will push to change but I love driving the A2!!.

Anymore advice appreciated- in simple terms:)
thanks for the help so far all.

I got rid of my Lupo GTI because of a vibration, but it only occured under load, accelerating and 30mph plus. I went to several garages and all came to the conclusion duel mass flywheel, all quotes were between £700-£1000.

I would get your car checked out at a dealer, it may be something simple, even an engine mount.

goodluck

Hi Andyman
Glowplugs are not expensive so if that is the problem, a wild guess would be to allow for 30min - one hour's labour plus a tenner for parts.
Ref the possible flywheel problem - if the vibration level does not change when the clutch pedal is pressed then it is less likely to be the dual mass flywheel at fault.
As AlanA2 says, you need to go round a few garages for a proper diagnosis. You could also go to Castle Coombe for the Audi Driver day and compare your car with fellow owners A2's just to see how different the vibration on your car is.

Also don't forget that before deciding to change your car for an A4, it could also have the same problems

Cheers Spike

Thanks guys, tried the clutch in test and yes after 5 or 10 secs the vibration goes only to return after 5 or 10 secs once clutch is let out!!.
I doesnt always do it though is fairly often.
Got a price from a better looking garage today re service and water pump and cambelt, £536 incl a new forfor loan car and they said they would check the glow plugs when doing the service and it wouldnt be dear to sort a new glow plug.
Thuogh man said he would be very surprised if it was a glow plug already!!.
Cars only now done 52800miles and I cant believe the dual mass thingy is showing bad symptoms already.
Audi wouldnt do anything as it wont now have full Audi service history and the dealership staff are unhelpful and dont want to know unless they think they are going to get loads of cash outta ya!!.
Rather poor for a 4 years old 52000miles Premium brand car to have such a fault so early on!!.:(

Hi all just thought I'd let you know that i got Ollie all sorted yesturday at a local garage.
Ended up needing 2 new glowplugs as they were knackered so I had all 3 replaced for safe measure,
Also 60k service and anything else that would need doing every 2 years like the brake fluid change.
He now has a new cam belt and water pump too and they also checked the error codes as I told them aboutr the dual mass flywheel prob(they have delt with A2's before) and they said there was nothing wrong with it!!, no codes and no problems!!, So I'm very pleased indeed even though the bill came to a whooping £685!!!.

I know if sounds strange but he now feels "different"(even better) to drive and smoother at start up,,,,,Wonderful.

Only question I have is that thet reset the service counter and it now reads 9300 miles !! Surly this should be more like 20000 miles??.

Regards Andy.

Mine did the same after i had it serviced and after i did a 100miles or so it sorted itself out it now reads over 20,000 Miles till next service ...... Good to know your all sorted know.......

Hi Andy
Good to hear you'r enjoying the car even more. Also thanks for the update on the glow plugs - it's very useful to know if our 'armchair' diagnostics are correct, or otherwise.

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike, Was chuffed that Ollie managed to get started on only 1 decent glow plug!!,,,,Bless Him.:D

Back