Stupid Question: Where is the VAG com (OBD2) port on the A2?

on a LHD car it's below the steering wheel next to the service flap opener. I'd expect something very similar on a RHD car.

BTW: It has to be within 1m of the steering wheel....

Bret

Hi Alan
The location on RHD cars is also the same as Bret described - and easier to see if you get down on your hands and knees, outside the car.

The most popular remap for A2 TDi's is by Stealth Racing, near Birmingham. They have a special price for A2oc owners which is less than half you would pay for a Revo and Switch.

Cheers Spike

Found It!

In the end I got a mirror out and my digital camera and found the connector right under the console just above the accelerator! Attached is a pic of it!

I'm not sure what a "service flap opener" is, but it might be next to it!

Thanks to all that replied and thanks for the "Stealth" advice - I'll give them a call as they're not far from me.

Cheers
Alan

I'm not sure what a "service flap opener" is, but it might be next to it!

Cheers
Alan

Hi Alan
That's the one, the handle on the far right - you pull that to open the flap at the front of the bonnet to check the oil and top up the screen washer fluid

Cheers Spike

Hi Alan
That's the one, the handle on the far right - you pull that to open the flap at the front of the bonnet to check the oil and top up the screen washer fluid

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike

"Service Flap Opener"! Don't those Audi folk come up with some fancy names?!

I always call it the "pully handle type-thing that opens the flap where the washer water and oil go..." - "Service Flap Opener" is so much better!

Cheers
Alan

Hi Alan
That's a relief....for a moment I thought you did not know there was a flap for checking the oil etc.

Regarding a Stealth remap, If the map was ever overwritten (during an Audi service for example) or you wanted the car put back to standard I think Stealth will do it for a nominal fee. Just thought you may be considering the Revo switch box for those reasons

Cheers Spike

Hi Alan
Just thought you may be considering the Revo switch box for those reasons

Hi Spike, yeah that was one of the reasons... The CelticTuning one (http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/Switch.aspx) means that you can buy other maps for other cars once you've bought the main bit of kit. It costs about £400 for the kit including a new map (with the old one stored on the box of tricks). Other maps are £120. also if a map is overwritten it takes seconds to put the newer one back.

I was quoted £264 inc VAT by Stealth today so it is a fair chunk cheaper with them.

Also everyone speaks very highly of Stealth, but I'm not sure I'd notice the performance diffrence between their bespoke map and the CelticTuning's off-the-shelf one.

I've not heard of anyone on the forum who's used the Celtic gizmo...

Thanks for your help though.

Cheers
Alan

You might think that the quote from Stealth is pricey, but it's actually very reasonable.

Off the shelf maps do not take your engine state into account either, which might in the end mean the rapid demise of something like the turbo, which will then cost you around a grand to fix (at the least!).

I had an off the shelf map to start off with and yes, it was very nice and grunty, but after Vince (at Stealth) had read the map from the ECU EEPROM it was noted that at certain stages, illegally high levels of boost were being requested, which in the mid term would mean that my turbo would have gone pop!

I'll not name the company where the map was from, but it was a major player in the tuning world (and still is). Vince writes custom maps optimised to your engine, which will be checked on the rolling road prior to any re-programming taking place.

Do yourself and your car a favour, see Stealth

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Alan

Our cars are quite old now so for me,the before and after rolling road sessions as carried out by Stealth would be an essential part of the remap. There are several cases where minor engine problems were discovered and rectified before the remap was done.There are also examples of several runs on the rolling road being required to optimise the power curve. None of this happens with an off the shelf map.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=96939&postcount=7

I had a quick look at the Celtic web site and the way I read it, alternative maps for the same car are £120 but would be full price if you changed the car and kept the box. Generally the map is unique to a specific engine ECU so you can't sell the unit with the intention of the new owner downloading the maps to his car. Just like Stealth, the remap you pay for is not transferrable.

Cheers Spike

And just to add another point, if Vince finds further areas where his maps can be refined (and he carries out research into this all the time), then as an existing customer, you will be offered the new map adjustment free of charge - several members have already benefitted from this, myself included.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for the information!

Mike 'n' Spike - Thanks for you further replies!

I think your advice is sound and makes total sense.

I was toying with the idea of the Celtic gizmo as I could lend it to mates/family who could buy other maps for £120.

However the points you made regarding Vince's tune-up are more important, and the my-car-specific map he offers makes more sense.

I will call him this morning and book my car in.

Once again, thanks for your prompt and thorough replies!

Cheers
Alan

Chipping done!

'Just been up to see Vince at Stealth and he managed to get my A2 from 80.9bhp to 108.6! The torque went from 161.5@2552 to 189.8@2645. Being a thicky, not sure if the torque improvement is good (though I presume it is!)... All in all I'm happy with their results and very quick service!

Back