Suspension Upgrade

I have walked this route, how can I help. Maybe if I share my experience it may help you.

Okay I have a 2003 Tdi Sport and decided from day one that the Audi sports suspension, was not my idea of sports.

I first changed the springs to a set of Bembo Motosports Springs. These made the car about 30mm lower than the standard sports model and the difference can be seen when you line the cars up wing mirror to wing mirror.

I also run 215/40/17’s.

At first, this made the ride very hard, too hard. So I kept the springs and changed the shocks, first the rear and then the front. I am using Koni Sports Adjustables.

This helped but was still not right so six months later I changed the fronts as well. Now I have been through most of the settings and have left the rear at +3/14 setting and the front at + 9/14 setting.

This appears to be the best compromise for me. I also carry an extra 110Kg of audio equipment around [upgraded car stereo].

The net result is the car is firm. On smooth roads [if you can find any around here], the car is a dream. It will flatten out roundabouts like they were a straight ruler. There is a end section of motorway near me and it has a sweeping left-hander to it. In my previous sports car I would never attempt that bend at much above 40mph, but the Audi can hit that bend at 60mph without you breaking a sweat.

It suffers most because of the AWFUL state of our roads and they truly are AWFUL. But on lane changes on the motorway, high winds, twisty country roads, it just leaves everything else behind and even the most unconfident driver can look like a rally driver in this car. The pot-holes, speed bumps, drain-covers etc, are a real pain and I am sure was what contributed to my radiator falling off last year [almost £3K bill to fix all associated issues].

If I had to make a suggestion it would be this –
  • Make sure the wheels you have are the ones you are going to keep
  • Make sure you get decent tyres that are directional and have at least a “V” rating
  • Change the springs to a set that are PROGRESSIVE
  • Chose MATCHING dampers that are adjustable on the car [Koni rear’s are not]
  • If you can afford it, get Coil Overs as they are much better and much better for adjustment [rebound and compression and ride height]
  • Get a four wheel alignment down straight afterwards
  • Give the car at least 4 weeks to settle down and the break the new stuff in
  • Give your body time to adjust to the new ride as the car's body roll is seriously reduced to almost nothing [judge best by loose shopping on leather seats, the eggs don't fall off]
  • SIT BACK AND GRIN when you see a roundabout in the wet..
Cost wise, expect to pay - [approx prices, area dependent]
  • £100 -£150 for decent springs
  • £80 - £100 to fit them
  • £120 - £300 for the dampers [depends on make and quality]
  • £100 - £200 to get them fitted [depends on who you trust]
  • £100 + for four wheel alignment [Audi charge £185+vat, but the place they use charge £95+vat]

Thanks EF Max

So are your Koni's adjustable at the rear?

Are there any other adjustable shocks available? I called AVO who supplied a set for my race Fulvia HF and they don't do the A2.

Who makes best progressive springs?

Cheers

I found a company that does height adjustable coilovers with rebound adjustment.
They are made by "KW Suspension",cant say I've heard of them though,although they are a german brand and look to be good quality(stainless steel bodies and so forth).

Click on this

Heres another link to the mannufacturers website with more info,you need to be looking at the VARIANT 2 shocks.

Last edited:
The Koni's are adjustable at the rear but they can not be done on the car,, which is a pain, so you have to keep taking them off for adjustments and then put them back on again which is a pain..

Those coilovers look lush but at a price..

Last edited:
Back