Taken the plunge ... I've bought one!

John H

Yes ... after several false starts it looks like I've finally bought myself an A2, and in the most unlikely of places ... an Audi dealership!

I work weekends in Newcastle, and yesterday nipped out at lunchtime to look at a 2005 TDi Special Edition, Dolphin Grey, advertised at Newcastle Audi. Having now looked at a variety of disappointing (and often frankly overpriced) private sale cars, I was amazed to find this one in perfect condition, a sensible price (after a bit of haggling), and with a full one year Audi warranty. I made one of the fastest decisions I have ever made and bought it on the spot. All being well I will collect it later this week. :eek:

Thank you all for all the help and support this forum has given me to get this far. Now brace yourselves for the barrage of questions that will no doubt follow once I get it!

:D

In fact, I'll start by asking my first question.

The only immediate thing I could find wrong with the car is that the 15" forged alloys are painted silver (having very obvioulsy been re-furbed) rather than being polished. The salesman tells me that Audi changed the finish on the very last models from polished to painted, to combat the corrosion problem.

Anyone know if this is true or not?

JH

Hi JH
I've read nothing 'official' from Audi but a relative bought a late ex demo TDi and it had painted 15" alloys. As you probably know, with painted rims you can use etch primer etc under the top coat which gives much better adhesion and corrosion resistance than using only clear laquer.
Maybe as a cost cutting exercise, Audi would only offer to repaint corroded polished alloys in warranty rather than replace them as they did in the past. Hopefully a club member who either bought a new car or had wheel problems in warranty will comment on this.

Cheers Spike

....,The 'Special Edition' is a great value model...
John,

I totally agree with Chris, (being one biased owner of course).

Pleased to hear that you have managed to secure a vehicle so soon after dismissing one only just the other day.

It is extra 'special' managing to secure one of the last lines of automotive history.

Enjoy!! :D

Darren

6:30 am and I'm just about to catch a train to Newcastle to collect my A2.

Ownership about to start!

How are you liking the new car :)

Err, quite a lot actually :D

I've had a great day. It started with a train journey this morning from Scotland to Newcastle; the train was quiet, I had a window seat, and the air was gin clear on a crisp winters morning. The Northumberland coastline was fantastic. I was collected at Newcastle station by the Audi dealers, my car was polished and waiting for me brim full of diesel, and the transaction was a text book example of efficiency and good manners. Full marks to Newcastle Audi, perhaps the best car buying experience I have ever had.

I then had a 160 mile drive home up the A1, a mix of 80mph cruising on the dual carriageway bits, mixed with some tedious 50mph slogging along with the HGV's :mad: but got home fresh and relaxed, and with the car having averaged 62mpg for the run ... amazing! At a stroke it halfs my fuel consumption.

The A2 is different to anything I have ever owned before. To date my parameters have been handling, acceleration, grip and feel ... in short I have always liked "driver's cars" and I also own a Porsche Cayman, pretty much the best driver's car you can presently buy.

The A2 is emphatically NOT a drivers car (at least not in this sense) but it is a marvellous transportational device, and so long as you approach it with the right mindset I can see why it has the cult following it does (like this forum). It has the comfort and feel of a much bigger car, but without the weight and thirst, which is of course why I bought it. It also has a very "non aggressive" character, and I found myself driving it in a more relaxed fashion than some other cars, yet still covering the ground at a respectable pace, and I think this may be it's biggest asset. Getting used to the torque band of the TDi might take a while though.

I commute every weekend from Scotland to Newcastle to work, and I confess I bought the A2 principally as an economic business tool, but I can see me falling for its charms ... even if they are very different to anything I've had before.

Anyway ... the fun starts here! :)

John H

(pics will follow!)

Excellent writeup/story John. I collect my new A2 on Saturday and your post is making very excited about the forth coming weekend :D (flying to Scotland and then driving back down to the Midlands :);))

Get some pictures up asap. :)

I collect my new A2 on Saturday and your post is making very excited about the forth coming weekend :D (flying to Scotland and then driving back down to the Midlands :);))

There is a certain irony that you should be buying one up here, when I ended up buying one in England cos I couldn't find one I liked in Scotland. :)

Where are you getting it from?

JH

Really pleased to hear that you are enjoying your new A2 ownership experience.

They say "time will tell" and to be honest it does - the ownership experience just gets better... ;)

Darren

Nah I don't think so, the lovely Sport interior will more than make up for it. :)

I have AC in my Honda and that never gets used (apart from its weekly charging and the occasional wet weather de-mist).

This must qualify as one of the worst car pics I've ever taken ... the car is filthy, and it's howling a freezing gale outside, but at least it proves the car exists!

Back