Tdi Circoli thermostat seal?

Howey

England
Ordered a thermostat with registration and it would seem the seal that comes with it is wrong as it fits around the edge rather than the expected solid "0" ring, if you look closely at the photo you can see what I mean, has anybody fitted one with this seal on as in effect it seals on both the block and housing sides?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214_225942_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240214_225942_com.android.chrome.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 37
Firstly ONLY fit genuine Audi thermostats. You may be able to find the correct O ring on its own and remove the seal on the stat. IF lucky may get away with it, but no promises on durability.

038 121 119 B​

The issue appears to be the many cheap fake copies of previously good brands.

Reactions: bix
Ordered a thermostat with registration and it would seem the seal that comes with it is wrong as it fits around the edge rather than the expected solid "0" ring, if you look closely at the photo you can see what I mean, has anybody fitted one with this seal on as in effect it seals on both the block and housing sides?
Surely the coolant only passes through the central port when the stat opens .

I could be wrong but that looks like something to hold the thermostat in the housing. The housing would still need to seal against the block.
I’ve got the housing seal and block that I could check but no thermostat.
Edit, I’ve taken a good look but can’t find the OEM O ring that I have. I was hoping to get dimensions for comparison. Ive had the housing in the block but without the seal I can’t tell if you have a seal or some kind of location aid. The part I was looking for is definitely an O ring:

IMG_0947.png

Edit 2, @Howey if you turn the thermostat over does the rubber protrude slightly beyond the OD of the thermostat?

Last edited:
Remember the O-ring for the stat sits on the external face of the thermostat once it is in situ, and the housing is clamped against it by the two bolts into the block. Original factory method is to insert stat-faced with o-ring into the housing fingers and twist to lock in place, then install the entire unit to the engine block - this is why the retaining fingers break off so easily when you undo the housing to remove in the rather more confined space between alternator and coolant pipes that doesn't allow the necessary twisting action to unlock them.

All three occasions I've removed the housing and replaced the thermostat, once housing removed thermostat with o-ring in front remained stuck in the block - the o-ring in contact with the entire circumference of the aperture and only slightly proud of the block (obviously compressed in place when the housing is there). Necessary to shift the o-ring before plucking the old stat out and inserting the new one rapidly to avoid significant coolant loss.

The thermostat is placed into plastic housing (it is mounted into it by rotation) and the seal (o-ring) seals the housing against the engine block.
In many times the housing element that holds the thermostat in place is broken (when somebody is forcing it out) - and it is not possible to lock it into the housing.

Be aware that there is a lot of fake "OEM" parts that do not operate properly (impossible to distinguish from the original part).

(the seal is visible here).
1707988403260.png

I could be wrong but that looks like something to hold the thermostat in the housing. The housing would still need to seal against the block.
I’ve got the housing seal and block that I could check but no thermostat.
Edit, I’ve taken a good look but can’t find the OEM O ring that I have. I was hoping to get dimensions for comparison. Ive had the housing in the block but without the seal I can’t tell if you have a seal or some kind of location aid. The part I was looking for is definitely an O ring:

View attachment 119238

Edit 2, @Howey if you turn the thermostat over does the rubber protrude slightly beyond the OD of the thermostat?
Eyup Little dog

Yeah it does overlap (see photos) I realise I can buy the standard o ring for 80p from euros but simply wondered if anyone has fitted with this seal. Interestingly the circoli stat that fits a 1.9tdi 2003 my friend bought comes with the standard o ring but I am sure it's the same actual stat.

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_170600.jpg
    IMG_20240215_170600.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240215_170555.jpg
    IMG_20240215_170555.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
Firstly ONLY fit genuine Audi thermostats. You may be able to find the correct O ring on its own and remove the seal on the stat. IF lucky may get away with it, but no promises on durability.

038 121 119 B​

The issue appears to be the many cheap fake copies of previously good brands.
Have usually fitted genuine but I struggle to justify it when I have heard no bad reviews of the circoli ones. Mr Black come with a circoli one fitted but it jammed open, but for no fault of its own as one of fingers from the housing had broken off and wedged inside it so can hardly blame the stat. I believe the genuine items are made by wahler

Eyup Little dog

Yeah it does overlap (see photos) I realise I can buy the standard o ring for 80p from euros but simply wondered if anyone has fitted with this seal. Interestingly the circoli stat that fits a 1.9tdi 2003 my friend bought comes with the standard o ring but I am sure it's the same actual stat.
I see; it wraps around the edge, hence it looking thinner than I expected. I’d say that should seal but I would prefer a plain thermostat and a genuine O ring.

Have usually fitted genuine but I struggle to justify it when I have heard no bad reviews of the circoli ones. Mr Black come with a circoli one fitted but it jammed open, but for no fault of its own as one of fingers from the housing had broken off and wedged inside it so can hardly blame the stat. I believe the genuine items are made by wahler
I think the genuine ones are Wahler. I fit a Wahler for a fraction of the price of an Audi stat.

Plenty of thermostats that I’ve fitted came with both the classic O-ring and the type that you describe, that wraps around the edge of the thermostat.
As an experiment, I’ve offered up a thermostat with the edge-type seal, but it didn’t look or feel right to me.
This edge-type seal is, I believe, for engines that weren’t fitted in the A2.

Cheers,

Tom

Plenty of thermostats that I’ve fitted came with both the classic O-ring and the type that you describe, that wraps around the edge of the thermostat.
As an experiment, I’ve offered up a thermostat with the edge-type seal, but it didn’t look or feel right to me.
This edge-type seal is, I believe, for engines that weren’t fitted in the A2.

Cheers,

Tom
Appreciated! Looks like they have got the item wrong at Circoli, so if anyone wants one best to get a 1.9tdi one for a mk4 golf

Back