TDI Lower Turbo Pipe fixing Bracket

RSVP  Print

Event start date: Wednesday 2023-09-20
Event end date: Wednesday 2023-09-20
Registration ends: Wednesday 2023-09-20
# Username Guest count Note
1 Erlingtheyounger Erlingtheyounger 1 I’d take one
2 Dave M Dave M 1  
3 T TAABVW 1 I'll take 1no for starters.

depronman

A2OC Donor
I have been working on a 3D printed version of the lower turbo pipe mount which is no longer available and is very often broken.
The CAD model was completed with the load of an original bracket from @simufly (thanks you Simon)
I trial fitted the bracket to @Stan H A2 this morning and it fitted OK, but really needed a further tweak which has now been done and the latest version is now printing in ABS.
I will be fitting this to my own A2 and running it for a few weeks to ensure that the heat from the engine does not have any advers affects on the ABS
Pictures and price to follow

Paul
74905114d4d76d3add914fa19ac91706.jpg

24f5c21825f38742f078024cfaa82f1a.jpg

61f6c3788f0d5625eddaef18e022b12e.jpg

Last edited:
Thankyou for doing this Paul and i,m sure there will be a demand for them. Are you going to make the metal inserts to go with them 🤔

Already done mate
The design is improved by providing a larger bore hole such that a piece of 2mm foam can be wrapped around the pipe prior to fitting the clamp. The wide is also doubled to spread the load over a wider area of the pipe to prevent the run through of the ally pipe that you get on the ATL pipe
As long as it hold up to the heat of the engine then all will be well
It will need longer bolt to mount to the sump due to the base being thicker for strength
Also a pair of bolt to fastened the two clamp halves together will be needed
I’m thinking I will provide the bolts and the foam with the clamp if there is a reasonable demand for them

Cheers
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The photos speak a thousand words and show exactly what you have achieved. Now we need a 3d printed warning label to tell the garage to disconnect this bracket before lowering the engine from the mount when replacing the cambelt.:mad:

The photos speak a thousand words and show exactly what you have achieved. Now we need a 3d printed warning label to tell the garage to disconnect this bracket before lowering the engine from the mount when replacing the cambelt.:mad:

Indeed very likely the reason why so many brackets are broken

And the next to go after the bracket is broken is the lower end cap on the intercooler...So important this bracket is fitted and intact.

And the next to go after the bracket is broken is the lower end cap on the intercooler...So important this bracket is fitted and intact.

Exactly. Printing a replacement end cap for the intercooler will be a step too far.
Prevention is best

Paul

Paul you can put me down on the list as wanting the kit when you’re ready.

Happy to beta test and report back whilst paying the full price of course.

Paul you can put me down on the list as wanting the kit when you’re ready.

Happy to beta test and report back whilst paying the full price of course.

Would you be able to fit it straight away ? Run it for say a month and report back on how it stands up to the heat.
That would certainly save me the job of removing my under tray to swap the bracket over, refit the under tray to do it all again in a months time

Paul

Yes I should think so. I could do a proper oil change whilst I was in there too - a bit early but that’s better than a bit late isn’t it? Also it’d give me a little extra peace of mind as currently the pipe is not supported at all due to the rubbing issues with the originallamp on the alloy pipe - and also I thought the Timmus spec intercooler can handle it.

Let me know how much to send you.

Hi all
I’ve had two of these turbo pipe brackets running on members cars for a total of 2 months. Both cars have done a mix of town and motorway driving and the ABS used to print the bracket is holding up well to the heat of the engine /engine bay
I think all reasonable testing has therefore been done and I’m now ready to offer this elusive bracket to anyone who want one
It will be supplied with metal inserts in the base plate, longer mounting bolts due to the base being much thicker and bolts to fasten both sides of the clamp together and a foam insert to prevent fretting on the pipe

I would like to know roughly what demand will be such that I can ensure I have enough in stock and also enough bolts available

Regards to all

Paul

Hi all
I’ve had two of these turbo pipe brackets running on members cars for a total of 2 months. Both cars have done a mix of town and motorway driving and the ABS used to print the bracket is holding up well to the heat of the engine /engine bay
I think all reasonable testing has therefore been done and I’m now ready to offer this elusive bracket to anyone who want one
It will be supplied with metal inserts in the base plate, longer mounting bolts due to the base being much thicker and bolts to fasten both sides of the clamp together and a foam insert to prevent fretting on the pipe

I would like to know roughly what demand will be such that I can ensure I have enough in stock and also enough bolts available

Regards to all

Paul

I've added an RSVP to the top of the thread. Would everyone who's interested in one or more clamps please register above (just like if it was an event) and use the 'Guest count' to indicate how many you'd be looking at purchasing. The RSVP will be open for a couple of weeks until the 20th.

Your a top man 😂
I've added an RSVP to the top of the thread. Would everyone who's interested in one or more clamps please register above (just like if it was an event) and use the 'Guest count' to indicate how many you'd be looking at purchasing. The RSVP will be open for a couple of weeks until the 20th

A must have for all Tdi 90 owners....ordered Paul.

I printed yours a few days ago, I’m just waiting for the correct length fasteners to arrive and it will be on its way to you
I’ll need your full name and address please so drop me a PM with it please

Cheers. Paul

Back