Tdi oil filter

Paul Slater

A2OC Donor
I am about to change oil and filter element on my 2002 Tdi for the first time. On my other car (Rover 800) I always pre-fill the oil filter canister to the top with new oil, then screw it in place and fill the sump to full on the dipstick. The advantage is that on starting the engine, there is none of that long wait before the oil pressure light goes out with the bearings gently rattling and no need to check the sump level again because it is at the full mark. I am looking at the audi filter element which has a stalk at the bottom with a small O-ring. I would welcome advice on changing the element from the experts out there. Where does the oil go when the element is pulled out? Can I fill the housing with new before screwing on the top cap with a 36 mm socket?

Hi Paul
When the filter element is removed, the oil drains back into the sump.
I never fill the filter housing with fresh oil but always spin the engine over on the starter a few times until the oil light goes out - in very short bursts so the engine does not fire up.

Cheers Spike

trufflestu
The first e-bay image is the canister filter for the petrol engines. The second image of a filter element is for the diesel engines. Incidently, when I posted the question about putting some oil into the new element during oil change and got no responses, I tried it and it worked well. It took 200 ml with 2000 ml in the sump. On starting, oil warning light went out out at once and it needed 100 ml to get the level correct to the top of the cross hatched area of the dipstick (2.3 litres total as per the book).

That worries me.

I've just looked on vagcat.com and according to them its the long cylinder filter i need for my Turbo diesel?

Anyone else help me before i purchase the wrong one?

trufflestu
Incidently, when I posted the question about putting some oil into the new element during oil change and got no responses, I tried it and it worked well.

Hi Paul
I did reply to your question but did not give a reason for not pre filling the filter.
Oil flows through the element from the outside - in. As you can only top up the inner part, the fresh oil is unfiltered and although the risk is minimal, dirt may enter the system - (dust on the pouring spout or container etc). Even an empty oil filter primes very quickly and I always find the low pressure warning light has gone out before the engine fires.

Cheers Spike

That worries me.

I've just looked on vagcat.com and according to them its the long cylinder filter i need for my Turbo diesel?

Anyone else help me before i purchase the wrong one?

First recommendation is to buy a genuine Audi oil filter. As Paul indicted there is only one model for the TDi engine and its the pleated element style and NOT the metal canister type.
If mail order is preferable then try Stoke Audi or VagParts who are both partners of the A2oc and will ensure you get the correct part. It will only cost a couple of pounds more than an inferior copy

Cheers Spike

oil volume error

Sorry all. In posting yesterday I, of course, got the oil volume wrong. Total vol is 4.3 litre not 2.3! Must be the cold weather.

Back