Tdi or FSi?

T

teazel

I love the 1.4 FSi engine on my wife's Polo. I'm impressed with the way in which I can potter around town most of the time, but, when I need the power, the engine delivers the goods big-time (especially with Shell Optimax in the fuel tank).

So, when it comes to getting my own (used) A2 my first inclination is to get the 1.6FSi, but having read other postings on this forum should I go for the Tdi 90 instead? What are the relative merits as far as owners are concerned? Is there anyone that's owned both FSi and Tdi A2's?

I've been put-off by the three cylinder petrol Polo's that I've driven while our Polo has been in for service - especially in sounding like a sewing machine - which has put me off buying a three cylinder diesel.

Having owned an FSi for 3 years I'd order a new one tommorrow, if I could. I think it comes down to how many miles you intend to do. 40~45mpg is a realistic figure for everday use and around here super unleaded is the same price as diesel.

The Fsi engine is intelligent in the way it works, upto about 2500-3000rpm, its quite normal, and if you keep it below these revs you'll get very good mpg, in the 40's. above 3000prm, it suddenly comes "on cam", or "on boost"!! of course its the fsi system giving the extra power, if you give it some gas in 2nd gear at say 20mph, it will accelerate slowly, then as soon as you get to 3000prm, it takes off!! Even driving it "enthusiastically" and only on short runs, i am still getting 35mpg. I only use BP Ultimate, I'm probably getting 2-3 more mpg than I would on standard fuel, I can easliy get 400 miles out of a tank.

I drove a 75bhp TDi when i was looking for A2's, and was suprised how quick it was, it was sluggish when pulling away from roundabouts/lights, the fsi you can give a few revs and it'll be away like a scalded cat! midrange grunt is much better with TDi, but once the FSi gets to 3000rpm, it starts to pull pretty strongly.

One thing to condsider with the FSi, they were only made from about the middle of 2002, and not for long (can't remember how long - about 1 1/2 years at most I think) so they are hard to find. I looked for about 4 months to find one, and ended up going to Birmingham, from Peterborogh, so be prepared to travel to find one.

regarding the TDi - I have a 75, and do find it brings down the tone of the car a bit from what your other perceptions are telling you - because of the 3 pot layout, and it's proximity to the driver, it is far more intrusive that what you'd expect from (for instance) one of the larger TDi audis (also have a 1.9 A4 as a benchmark) - or other equivalent VAG car.

However, that said - for a diesel, it is quite unlike the rather cringing clattering you'd otherwise expect from being virtually sat on top of it - and quite honestly rather endearing, if such a thing could be said - punting the little A2 around with the engine revving far more than you'd expect from a diesel is great fun - compared to the 1.9 unit, it's far more like an aspirated engine, with some air-cooled thrum thrown in - than the muted torquey low down urge of the bigger engine.

the bottom line is it IS intrusive, albeit surprisingly pleasant.

get one with Bose - that'll soon drown it out ;)

FSI/TDi

I have the 1.6 FSI and love it. Responsive etc and all the other things that people have said about it. I don't run it on the higher octane fuel, after reading that to get the true difference the UK engine needs to be chipped. I have tried it and didn't notice any difference. I am considering getting the TDi and trading mine in as I wanted the economy but would that be silly and would I be disappointed in it. I did drive a couple of them when I bought mine and didn't think that they were such fun to drive, and were noisy. What sort of economy is everyone getting?

My FSI is giving me on average 47 mpg on mostly motorway cruising. Happy enough with the engine - although when it's running in FSI mode - it can struggle if you try to pull away gently. Give it enough revs, and it behaves just fine.

B

The FSI has "more midrange grunt"?!!! Hmmm... Never have I heard that said about a petrol engine vs a TDi before. On here or indeed in any magazine. That is the point why a diesel is miles better than a petrol. You have oodles of midrange grunt in any gear - especially 5th - so you never have to gear down to overtake. FSI technology needs high revs to perform which leads to fuel economy suffering. More people have moaned on this forum about sluggish take off in their FSIs than I have ever heard people moan about the TDI's take-off. You drive a TDI different to a petrol and I guess that is why it felt "sluggish" to the people above who are just not used to driving a diesel.

Between the 75 petrol and diesel there is no thinking about my choice - TDI every day. I've had petrol 75s on many occasions and floor the throttle in 3rd gear doing 40mph and NOTHING happens for ages... Then the noise just gets more, upsetting your passengers and it finally starts to go faster... Do the same in the TDI and you have INSTANT surge and to my ears a lovely Porsche-like 3-pot throb.

Between the Tdi 90 and 1,6 I would also chose the 90 every time for much the same reasons... The Tdi can also be chipped for even more speed should you need it, where hardly anythign can be done to the FSI.

As to Sport and SE. The latter any day as the Sport suspension is just way way too hard. People that have them get used to it, but there is no need to have such hard suspension on a daily basis in a car. It is tiring feeling every 2pence piece you drive over...

Get a 1,4 Tdi 90 with Open Sky and DIS in a light colour like silver or Crystal Blue. Darker colours hide the shadows over the wheel arches thus making the car look too tall and the wheels too small. Black scratches white (or any dark colour as it has white base coat) and is a bitch to keep clean in my view... I hardly ever wash my car and it always looks clean from a distance and even close up!!!

All the above just my personal opinion! :)

Last edited:
90 Tdi/1.6 Fsi

I was thinking of the 90. I drove all the versions before I went for my 1.6 FSI, but couldn't find a 90 in a nearly new version with an open-sky roof. Are there many about now? Or will it be that for the sake of changing, I will not get much of a saving on fuel. I haven't been doing many long treks but we are so pleased with the A2 that we are tending to use it more and more. Thought I might try and get a truly top of the range whilst I can . . . but then if someone had one of those would they part with it?

TDi every time. I'm always amazed at the sheer amount of grunt available from our 90 Tdi Sport
On a pure feeling level - it felt as powerful as my now departed 3.2 TT.

If you can get a 90bhp TDi, with everything (open-sky, Bose, leather, Auto-Climate, etc etc) then go for it. I would actually get a Sport model, as these have much more equipment as standard than the SE models, eg. Sports seats, DIS, Climate, Tuned suspension, probably a few other bits too, then if you don't like the ride, you can sell the 17's and buy some smaller wheels. I had trouble finding an SE with the spec I wanted. The 90TDi's were outside my price range when I was looking for A2's so I went for the FSi, if I had the extra cash I would have got a 90 TDi.

Comparing the figures....
FSi 108bhp.114lbft, 0-60 9.5 secs,
90bph Tdi 88bhp, 170lbft, 0-60 10.6 secs
(taken from Parkers)

Now...the Audi TT 180, has 173lbft of torque......only 3 more than the A2 90Tdi!!!

Last edited:
FiveLittleFish said:
TDi every time. I'm always amazed at the sheer amount of grunt available from our 90 Tdi Sport
On a pure feeling level - it felt as powerful as my now departed 3.2 TT.

Just did some figures...

The TT 3.2 has 236lbft torque & 246bhp and weighs 1490kgs = 158lbft/ton & 165bhp/ton
A2 90 Tdi has 170lbft torque & 88bhp and weighs 1030kgs = 165lbft/ton & 85bhp/ton

So....Definaly go for a 90Tdi if you can find one!!!

(all figures taken from parkers)

TallPaul said:
Just did some figures...

The TT 3.2 has 236lbft torque & 246bhp and weighs 1490kgs = 158lbft/ton & 165bhp/ton
A2 90 Tdi has 170lbft torque & 88bhp and weighs 1030kgs = 165lbft/ton & 85bhp/ton

So....Definaly go for a 90Tdi if you can find one!!!

(all figures taken from parkers)
Well there you go! Thanks for that - I thought it was just a feeling but you've proved it!

They are powerful little things, these A2 Diesels!

I was the same. I test drove the petrol and did not want the A2 at all... Then a YEAR later went to drive the TDI and was gobsmacked by the difference. And have had 4 fantastic years with it.

If you can afford the 90PS TDi I would certainly go for it. Its mid range acceleration is very impressive, putting many larger capacity petrol engined cars to shame.

Back