TDI Starting problem

vkx245l

A2OC Donor
Needed to get to work early today so you can all guess what happened....

It was frosty overnight but bright and warm in the sun this morning. Turned the key to ignition and waited for the glow plug light to go out. Turned the key further for the starter - nothing?! Checked the battery wasn't flat - fine. Also put car in gear and pushed back and forth to ensure that starter wasn't stuck - I didn't hear a click but other half had first go at starting it so wasn't sure. Anyway it seemed fine. Tried to look knowlegable in front of female on looker, did a bit of chin rubbing, then tried the key again four or five times and it starts!

She has taken it to work now so will scan it tonight but has anyone else encountered anything like this? Could it be ignition lock, starter motor, electrics in between?????

Its done it before but usually starts by holding the key in the starter position or on the second attempt.

Cheers

Jonathan

I had the same problem (it is on this site if you do a search under my previous posts). The Audi Assist guy got me going by wiggling the key whilst in the III position. The fix was done under used car warranty and included a new lock barrell and ignition switch. This took a while as they had to order the new lock (to match the curent keys!). During this time the key wiggle worked everytime. To test this, try turning the key very carefully to III, if nothing happens, push against the key fob and instantly the starter will turn.

Hope this helps

Dave

You may also want to check that the car shaped light on the dash isn't flashing when attempting to start the car. Turn the key to the first point (II position?), wait for all the lights to go out and then try to start. If the first attempt fails try again using the same routine, it'll start the next time the car light doesn't flash and goes out in position II. I think this has something to do with the immobiliser. My car does this quite frequently but now I know how to deal with it the problem is no longer a problem. Hope you sort yours out.
Regards

Back