TDI Timing belt question

IvanTang

I am considering to go after a TDI with timing belt due, is it DIY-able? How much will it be for a garage to do the job? Any garage recommendation around Nottingham or Leicester? Thank you very much fellow A2 lover

Certainly is DIY able, if you don't rush it and follow online vids I see no reason why not. The later tensioner is by far the easiest. So long as you have the tools and work safely no issues that can't be answered should arise but it is possible to mess it up and damage the engine.
Based on the later belt kit 2002 on parts should cost around £100, the SKF kit with water pump is great value then some antifreeze. If any issues exist with not getting to temperature you may wish to consider thermostat and coolant temp sensor change whilst you have the cooling system drained down.
Garage prices seem to vary from £250-750!

Do agree that WOM have the best reputation of any garage in the country thou!!

Last edited:
Certainly is DIY able, if you don't rush it and follow online vids I see no reason why not. The later tensioner is by far the easiest. So long as you have the tools and work safely no issues that can't be answered should arise but it is possible to mess it up and damage the engine.
Based on the later belt kit 2002 on parts should cost around £100, the SKF kit with water pump is great value then some antifreeze. If any issues exist with not getting to temperature you may wish to consider thermostat and coolant temp sensor change whilst you have the cooling system drained down.
Garage prices seem to vary from £250-750!

Do agree that WOM have the best reputation of any garage in the country thou!!
02 Plate is the later one or earlier one? I have been searching online for a bit, but not successful to find a video with clear clear step by step instruction, am I using wrong key word? Thank you very much for the info, really appreciated!

02 Plate is the later one or earlier one? I have been searching online for a bit, but not successful to find a video with clear clear step by step instruction, am I using wrong key word? Thank you very much for the info, really appreciated!
2002 is the change over so it could have the earlier set up, without looking behind the covers do you know when the car was registered this will show on mot history

The belt setup is the same as the 1.9 tdi pd so any of these videos will give you a good idea. Gina did an A2 one on you tube but was the earlier hydraulic tensioner

2002 is the change over so it could have the earlier set up, without looking behind the covers do you know when the car was registered this will show on mot history

The belt setup is the same as the 1.9 tdi pd so any of these videos will give you a good idea. Gina did an A2 one on you tube but was the earlier hydraulic tensioner
Thank you Howey, date of reg is 26 June 2002. What is the youtube channel of Gina?

Thank you for all the useful tips and Gina channel, after watching the video I am confident to do it myself, at least I have the courage to try! Any recommendation where can I get the cam & crank locking tool and belts & water bumper kit?

Thank you for all the useful tips and Gina channel, after watching the video I am confident to do it myself, at least I have the courage to try! Any recommendation where can I get the cam & crank locking tool and belts & water bumper kit?
Bought locking kit from ebay and skf cambelt kit with pump from amazon

You might want to consider these and maybe a drive belt too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230903_203019_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20230903_203019_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 68
May I ask when is the the change over date roughly for hydraulic tensioner and mechanical tensioner? It’s register on 26th June 2002

It's not the registration date but the manufacture date that would confirm this but from recent experience when ordering my own timing belt kit do not simply order for a 1.4tdi 2000-2005 as many are listed as the odds are it will be wrong and only order using your reg or better still VIN. Yours will be an AMF engine code and should be the later version but not for the BHC but this will still need to be verified. Mine came through GSF in the end as that was the only one I could find that was confirmed to fit my car.

Hope this helps 👍

It's not the registration date but the manufacture date that would confirm this but from recent experience when ordering my own timing belt kit do not simply order for a 1.4tdi 2000-2005 as many are listed as the odds are it will be wrong and only order using your reg or better still VIN. Yours will be an AMF engine code and should be the later version but not for the BHC but this will still need to be verified. Mine came through GSF in the end as that was the only one I could find that was confirmed to fit my car.

Hope this helps 👍
Thank you very much. I understand the manufacture date matter rather than reg date, I think I will do a VIN decode once I get to see the car. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: A2Z
I'm on the look out for an AMF engine and all 2002 registered cars I've looked at have had the earlier tensioner. Your car will most probably have the early tensioner but check here once you have the VIN code https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a2/a2/2002-248/1/103-103015/ . That assumes the engine is original, the only way to be 100% sure is to take a look.
Both engines I have inspected, and rejected, with the later tensioner were set up incorrectly. This is a DIY job to get it right or go somewhere that knows what they are doing ie WOM.
Edit, friction damped (later type) tensioner timing belt replacement is covered in this thread https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...-chain-and-chain-tensioner-replacement.35539/

Last edited:
May I ask when is the the change over date roughly for hydraulic tensioner and mechanical tensioner? It’s register on 26th June 2002
My black one has the later tensioner as is Registered 24 may 2002, but really the only real way to know is by checking. I remember once having an issue with an A3 we had ordered the bits by the vin from tps and they came wrong to the vehicle when I contacted them they were baffled and the owner had owned it from new so it defo pays to check but I suspect if the car has the later mk60 abs pump and therefore no speedo drive in the gearbox then it may well indicate it has the later tensioner but that could be all nonsense in fairness

My black one has the later tensioner as is Registered 24 may 2002, but really the only real way to know is by checking. I remember once having an issue with an A3 we had ordered the bits by the vin from tps and they came wrong to the vehicle when I contacted them they were baffled and the owner had owned it from new so it defo pays to check but I suspect if the car has the later mk60 abs pump and therefore no speedo drive in the gearbox then it may well indicate it has the later tensioner but that could be all nonsense in fairness
I believe that's always the case when manufacturer decide to change from one part to another, even ordering from VIN won't be 100% sure that's the right part. I will just try to take a look when I get the car. Wish me luck!

BTW any key area I should look for to prevent buying a lemon?

I believe that's always the case when manufacturer decide to change from one part to another, even ordering from VIN won't be 100% sure that's the right part. I will just try to take a look when I get the car. Wish me luck!

BTW any key area I should look for to prevent buying a lemon?
For me as with all cars the tyres are the eyes to sole or R sole as the case maybe!
Condition, brand (matched on axles) and wear.
Coolant wants to be a vibrant pink/orange and not rusty!!
The belly undertray been present is a good sign someone has cared for it!
Condition of cabin filter can tell I lot about maintenance or lack of!

Find this workshop-manual about replacing Tdi timing belt, one thing I have noticed different to Gina's video, the belt tensioner gap ( dimension between tensioner pully and hydraulic tensioner), in this manual it says 7mm + - 1mm, in Gina's video the subtitle say it's 4mm + - 1mm.
Which one should be correct?

4 mm with 1 mm tolerance

Incidentally it is possible to convert a hydraulic set up to friction, there's a detailed post on here

Back