TDI Tuning Chip ?

No and I would not! If it is not TUV approved then treat with a bargepole. It is simply too cheap a product to be other than a crude overfuelling device. Nothing wrong with plug-in type devices but use a reputable supplier such as DTUK etc.

If you want more grunt, get a proper re-map from a genuine supplier like Amd/Revo, or Stealth, or VAGCHECK, or MRC Tuning...

If you want short- and long- term reliability, no increase in smoke and no dramatic loss of MPG (and even a potential improvement if done properly) then there's absolutely no way I would ever consider a cheap gizmo off Ebay over a proven tuner.

mine lasted 5 years when I sold the car, mpg was the same and performance improved.. My Yaris with one averages 61mpg - mainly urban.

I take it all those against have driven one and have experience of them?

I take it all those against have driven one and have experience of them?

Maybe or maybe not - however Adrian and Dan know a bit about motors, plus we all benefit from a wealth of experience from this and other forums on tuning/chipping remaps. This question about the eBay chips comes up periodically and the consensus of opinion is that they are an inferior and potentially damaging solution.

I do have first hand experience of a similar eBay purchase. I bought one a few years back and fitted to my A4 TDi Q Avant ( against the advice of my trusted mechanic) - yes it gave a bit more oomph although there was no tangible benefit to MPG - within a week I had the engine management light on. I threw it in the bin and paid for a remap from a reputable franchise.

But then, you pays your money .... and when asking for advice there is no obligation for the OP to take it! :)

A few years ago I was up at MRC Tuning having my A4 V6 remapped and whilst I was there they showed me an engine they had out on the workbench which had been damaged beyond repair from a plug in tuning box - this particular box had somehow allowed the turbo to overspin, which ultimately caused a bit of the compressor wheel to break off and get ingested into the engine block itself. Expensive end of engine! I wouldn't want any form of ECU tuning in my car that didn't maintain all of the ECU's safety parameters and didn't just chase the maximum BHP gain figures by any means necessary...

It may well be the case that this particular piggyback tuning box is fine and I have no way of knowing how this particular model works, but there is all manner of trash sold on ebay claiming to give performance increases (the "electric supercharger" comes to mind!) and if it was my car I would protect myself by going with a product I knew more about, from a reputable tuner, from whom I had other good feedback about.

I've had remaps on my Audis from MTM (S2, 5cyl petrol turbo) , MRC Tuning (A4 V6 petrol) and AmD/Revo (A2 Tdi). That's my advice based on my experience.

Ok, I have had a cheapo tuning box fitted on a Seat Toledo some years ago, it ran as rough as a bears ar5e. I have also used Tuning boxes which are TUV approved with great success. The other difference is the first cost around £90 and did not have any independant test data, the second cost over £300 but was supported by plenty of German data.... If you have had a good experience then I suspect you have been lucky. If these cheapo units were so good the expensive systems would be out of business PDQ.

I have this fitted to my A2 and it's great. Much more fun to drive; it feels as though the car has come alive. No smoke, better fuel economy and a real increase in low-down torque. Others on here don't like it but I'd say give it a go. I bought mine directly from the supplier as I live locally (Chelmsford) and they even fitted it for me. You should have 14 day money-back no quibble guarantee so if you're really not happy then you've got nothing to lose. If you like it and you later decide to get a new A2 then you simply un-plug it and take it with you. If you sell the car then you can also sell the unit on ebay and you'll not lose a penny.

I was so impressed I bought one for my A6 Allroad - now it really PULLS.

Obviously this is just my experience.

These do increase performance, but only by adding more fuel into the engine. all they are is a 5p resister from maplin plugged into the fuel temp sensor. It tells the engine that the fuel pump is too hot, it pumps more fuel through it to try and cool it down.. these ones are the same.

Tuning box

Back